This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

self-build akonadi runs agents from /usr/share and ~/kde/sha

Tags: akonadi, agents, self-build, kde, xdg_data_dirs akonadi, agents, self-build, kde, xdg_data_dirs akonadi, agents, self-build, kde, xdg_data_dirs
(comma "," separated)
JoKer__777
Registered Member
OS
Hello

I've got a system-wide installed kde and a self-build kde for a specific user.
When I start the self-build kde akonadi starts the agents ind /usr/share/akonadi/agents and ~/kde/share/agents. How can I prevent this? How can I make akonadi only to use the agents in /usr/share/akonadi/agents?

I already discovered that it has to do s.th. with the env variable XDG_DATA_DIRS. It seems to me that akonadi searches in every path which is set by XDG_DATA_DIRS for agents and starts them.
I can prevent this behaviour when I remove /usr and /usr/local from XDG_DATA_DIRS but than I get other errors because my system can't find some mime-types and icons of system-wide installed apps anymore.

Thanks for your help in advance

Johannes
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
To solve the problem, set XDG_DATA_DIRS without /usr, then install shared-mime-info and Oxygen Icons to your ~/kde directory.

Oxygen Icons are part of KDE Support, so you should have that installed already if you are using a script such as kdesrc-build to maintain your kde setup.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
JoKer__777
Registered Member
OS
Thanks for your reply.
This is the solution for the mime-type problem. I found this page later too

http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started ... #XDG_Paths

I don't know why I haven't found this page before. It would have saved me a lot of trouble.

The Oxygen Icons are found proberly because I installed them via kdesr-build as you already suggested.
The only problems are the icons of system-wide install apps like firefox chrome ...
I can start them from kickoff and krunner (because my PATH variable still includes /usr/bin ...) but they don't find their icons.
Any ideas how I can make this possible?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Are you talking about just the actual icons, or the complete item in the menus (including the icon, name and shortcut to the application itself)?

If it is the complete item, I would advise using KMenuEdit to create alternative copies of these shortcuts.

KDE Sysadmin
JoKer__777
Registered Member
OS
bcooksley wrote:Are you talking about just the actual icons, or the complete item in the menus (including the icon, name and shortcut to the application itself)?

If it is the complete item, I would advise using KMenuEdit to create alternative copies of these shortcuts.

Yes I mean the "complete item" in kickoff and yes I could create them manually but what about krunner? Where does he get it's informations. For example with chrome it was enough to just write "chrome" in krunner and it found it (with icon and description). Now I have to write the exact command "google-chrome" and no icon and description is displayed.
Thanks for your answer!!!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Once you use the Menu Editor to add the entries to the Kickoff menu, they will be picked up by KRunner automatically.

KDE Sysadmin
JoKer__777
Registered Member
OS
Hi

Just wanna let you know how I solved it in the end.
I created another folder ~/.share and created the following links in this folder:

applications -> /usr/share/applications
icons -> /usr/share/icons
pixmaps -> /usr/share/pixmaps

Than I added the path $HOME/.share to the environment variable like this

export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$KDEDIR/share:$HOME/.share

I had to recompile kde to make it using the new folder. I don't know why and I don't know which specific app so I recompiled everything. It would be nice if someone could tell me which app has to be compiled exactly and why.

Thanks for your answers

Johannes
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The component you probably had to rebuild would have been kdelibs, as a number of compile time paths do get baked into the binaries.

KDE Sysadmin