This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I get rid of Akonadi or at least put it in jail?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Rob5
Registered Member
Ignacio Serantes wrote:[Just open the Control Panel, a common place to configure Desktops, and disable Nepomuk using a check. Seems easy to me.
It seems, but this will not prevent the nepomuk machine to start when creating a new user account.
The first time you open the new user account, nepomuk will be active, and blocking the CPU.
Nepomuk also needs to be disabled in /usr/share/autostart/.

There are quite some tricks to disable all this stuff, which justify the request: how to NOT install nepomuk-akonadi and their friends.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Rob5 wrote:
Ignacio Serantes wrote:[Just open the Control Panel, a common place to configure Desktops, and disable Nepomuk using a check. Seems easy to me.
It seems, but this will not prevent the nepomuk machine to start when creating a new user account.
The first time you open the new user account, nepomuk will be active, and blocking the CPU.
Nepomuk also needs to be disabled in /usr/share/autostart/.

There are quite some tricks to disable all this stuff, which justify the request: how to NOT install nepomuk-akonadi and their friends.

Neither there is a method to prevent default wallpaper, effects, style or icons, all are determined by a distribution or by KDE default values. When you add a new user always some adjustments are required and, with Nepomuk, if you want to disable it you only need to disable a check to avoid the start of nepomukserver.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Rob5
Registered Member
Ignacio Serantes wrote:if you want to disable it you only need to disable a check to avoid the start of nepomukserver.
To "disable a check", you would first need to log in graphical mode, and the CPU will be stuck.
Nepomuk should be disabled in command line, before starting graphical mode of each user.

Code: Select all
sed -i 's/true/false/g' /home/*/.kde/share/config/nepomukserverrc

which gives:
[Basic Settings]
Start Nepomuk=false

[Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
autostart=false
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Rob5 wrote:
Ignacio Serantes wrote:if you want to disable it you only need to disable a check to avoid the start of nepomukserver.
To "disable a check", you would first need to log in graphical mode, and the CPU will be stuck.
Nepomuk should be disabled in command line, before starting graphical mode of each user.

sed -i 's/true/false/g' /home/*/.kde/share/config/nepomukserverrc

which gives:
[Basic Settings]
Start Nepomuk=false

[Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
autostart=false

1) New user created.
2) Logout.
3) First login with the new user (over 25-30 seconds).
4) Open Control Panel and disable Nepomuk (over 5 seconds).
5) Logout.
6) Login again and Nepomuk, as expected, is not running.

No stuck at all in my openSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.8.1, and my hardware is very normal: Dual-Core E5200 2.50GHz, 4GB RAM and an Intel video card.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
Rob5
Registered Member
Ignacio Serantes wrote:No stuck at all in my openSUSE 11.3 with KDE 4.8.1, and my hardware is very normal: Dual-Core E5200 2.50GHz, 4GB RAM and an Intel video card.
What you call "normal" as a PC is your definition of "normal", it is "your" PC.
All PCs are then not "normal", and KDE should work on PCs different of yours.

BTW, if your CPU is compatible with nepomuk/akonadi and co, you don't need to disable anything.
People who need to disable all this stuff have very good reasons to do it, and find a good solution.
alukin
Registered Member
Once this madness with akonadi and nepomuk and other "modern" things started I started to hate KDE. The last "pleasant surprise" was kmail2 with smart agents that were stealing my mail even if I do not run kmail. It took a day to get rid of all those "innovations".

So, dear KDE developers! do not be so "smart" please and do simple stuff. K.I.S.S. is great principle. You smartass stuff drives people mad. Could you switch on your brains and understand simple thing: if program does things user do not need and do not want, this is VERY BAD program.

Please, create easy way to get rid of akonadi, nepomuk and other "friends" for next releases.

alukin, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
xdarma
Registered Member
OS
alukin wrote:So, dear KDE developers! do not be so "smart" please and do simple stuff. K.I.S.S. is great principle. You smartass stuff drives people mad. Could you switch on your brains and understand simple thing: if program does things user do not need and do not want, this is VERY BAD program.

I agree with you.
Hope that developers lost all source data so they must start from scratch a new framework for kdepim suite. :-)
Hope for the best (until december of 2012...) :-D
evll
Registered Member
OS
+1 to all haters of akonadi, nepomuk and all these useless semantic BS.

I was a happy user of kmail before akonadi came in. Now kmail loses data, is damn slow and simply does everything (manages identities, contacts from social networks, etc) but does not do what it is supposed to do - receive and send mail.
I switched to thunderbird and it just gets the job done. Please enlighten me, dear KDE developers, why can TB do this (including fast search and contact management) without all this semantic identity garbage and kmail can't?

After all this negativity about these new "features" I really hope that KDE developers will do something.
daisyb
Registered Member
OS
I couldn't agree more that akonadi, nepomuk et al should be sent to jail and never let them out. I am 100% certain that they were responsible for wrecking my new installations. Firefox never started after it upgraded to 16.01. Opera died with it. Gimp icon bounced around for eternity and then died, and all I did was to ask it to open a jpg file. Along with the above, MyComputer couldn't display disk info; KNotifier kept crashing on itself when it told me that the program I tried to start crashed; USB, CD & DVD could not mount, or if mounted manually, could not display files/folders in it; printer was not "discovered". I have installed 12.2 with KDE 4 times all within the space of under a week. the last time it crashed was when I selected the creative sound card to be the primary one since the internal intel audio control was listed as 0 and it didn't give any sound when tested. Oh, and address book in KMail refused to display after it was imported (LDIF exported from distro 11.4)

My nightmare list goes on & on. I am now in the process of wiping the hard disk totally clean and reinstall. I will go with Kfce. I just want to know is it possible to not install akonadi etc during installation already. If its possible, which bits do I need to deselect?

I used to love suse, but now I'm seriously considering moving on to something else. I have never appreciated my Windoze as I do now after wasting so much time installing, setting up and then having to fill the disk with zeros.
einar
Administrator
OS
I very much doubt that KMail or Akonadi have anything to do with your system, in particular with non KDE apps such as Opera or Firefox. I think there's a way different issue at stake, which you should investigate with the openSUSE people.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
goro
Registered Member
OS
evll wrote: kmail

aw...WHO uses Kmail in these times...
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
Right, i do use KMail2 these days. Without a problem.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS
daisyb wrote:I couldn't agree more that akonadi, nepomuk et al should be sent to jail and never let them out. I am 100% certain that they were responsible for wrecking my new installations. Firefox never started after it upgraded to 16.01. Opera died with it. Gimp icon bounced around for eternity and then died, and all I did was to ask it to open a jpg file. Along with the above, MyComputer couldn't display disk info; KNotifier kept crashing on itself when it told me that the program I tried to start crashed; USB, CD & DVD could not mount, or if mounted manually, could not display files/folders in it; printer was not "discovered". I have installed 12.2 with KDE 4 times all within the space of under a week. the last time it crashed was when I selected the creative sound card to be the primary one since the internal intel audio control was listed as 0 and it didn't give any sound when tested. Oh, and address book in KMail refused to display after it was imported (LDIF exported from distro 11.4)

My nightmare list goes on & on. I am now in the process of wiping the hard disk totally clean and reinstall. I will go with Kfce. I just want to know is it possible to not install akonadi etc during installation already. If its possible, which bits do I need to deselect?

I used to love suse, but now I'm seriously considering moving on to something else. I have never appreciated my Windoze as I do now after wasting so much time installing, setting up and then having to fill the disk with zeros.

(Highlight done by me, as this the only ontopic part of the entire reply)
Like einar already said, most of what is said has nothing to do with KDE at all. If the distro is at fault here, is hard to tell, as you didn't give any details, but instead tried to give feedback in a rather offtopic way. This topic is not called "how can i get rid of openSuSE?". Neither does it have anything to do with your desktop environment of choice. Even if you switch to Xfce, you would need a browser, and a paint and a calendar application.
So whatever the underlying issue is, it might make sense to spot it to
1. nail down a possible bug in your favourite distribution
2. nail down a bug in any of your mentioned apps
3. nail down a problem in your configuration

Keeping that in mind and acting accordingly not only improves your own computer experience but maybe the software itself. And saves us from a lot of rants in a thread (yours is not the only one i can spot here that has a false attitude). And before someone replies again, "but there are so many complaints about it", i count 26 posts in this topic, not all of them negative. Not very impressive, also considering that someone who is happy with the semantic desktop would not bother to reply or even read this topic.

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
It's sad that you can't deal with the rants. But, the fact remains that there are people who can't stand Akonadi/Nepomuk environment, yet still love KDE - in general. I've been in and out of this forum for a couple of years, and every time I come back in (out of curiosity, mainly), it's the same thing, you don't seem to listen to your user base and would simply rather just "blame XXX distro" for problems. You'd think that your "fix it please, you're making us look bad" communication would have been made with "XXX or YYY distro" a long time ago.

So if KDE is IMPOSSIBLE to develop without using A/N, just say so and recommend where your user base should go for satisfaction. Or, find a way to make A/N optional - even if that means no pim, or digital clock, or whatever. Please listen to your user base, if someone is losing their email from Kmail2, find out why that is and fix it. If someone wants to remove A/N, make a way to do it simply and cleanly, or just be honest and tell the user you're not going to do anything about and to go find some other DE. Lord knows there's a lot.

thank you.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
einar
Administrator
OS
Or, find a way to make A/N optional - even if that means no pim, or digital clock, or whatever.

You can do it already, it's a few clicks away in System Settings and in the digital clock configuration.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python