This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I get rid of Akonadi or at least put it in jail?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
einar wrote:
Or, find a way to make A/N optional - even if that means no pim, or digital clock, or whatever.

You can do it already, it's a few clicks away in System Settings and in the digital clock configuration.

Yes, that was helpful - in a very narrow kind of way. But the statement was "... find a way to make A/N optional ...".

I like the look and feel of KDE, in a very broad way. there are certain aspects of it that I don't like, and quite frankly there are other users who would agree with that. Akonadi, Nepomuk, and few of the other related, deeply rooted, processes are not usable to some users. Yet even when not running the higher level processes that would make use of A/N, such as the KDE PIM, they're still running in the background (do a top command sometime or ps -aux) taking up at the very least memory (physical or virtual) and using system resources that I don't want them to use. Yet, A/N is required in the install.

So the questions remains: can you, or can you not, provide a way to make A/N optional at install? If not, are you willing to provide clear, concise instructions as to how to remove these items and prevent them from initating without user request?

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
Hans
Administrator
OS
For Arch users you could try https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/akonadi-fake/ if you want to get rid of Akonadi. It should be fairly easy to make something similar for other distributions. (It's just an empty package that claims to provide Akonadi. I haven't tried it myself so I don't know how well it works.)

Problem solved? Please click on "Accept this answer" below the post with the best answer to mark your topic as solved.

10 things you might want to do in KDE | Open menu with Super key | Mouse shortcuts
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
Thank you, Hans. That was a very useful answer. Of course that doesn't help with the DEB-based Kubuntu packaging system, but it's something that can now be asked over on the Kubuntu forums. If all it takes is to replace the existing A/N DEB(s) with fakes (similar to the Arch package), then it shouldn't be hard to do.

Of course, it would be good to find a way to "kill" A/N in an already established environment. but it remains to be seen if anyone here can offer up a permanent solution. Thanks again.

jglen490
Registered Member
OS
O.K., so I've purged kontact, kmail, kaddressbook, korganizer and a couple of other k(whatever) from my environment. I looked at what would happen if I started uninstalling packages related to akonadi and nepomuk. The numbers of installs and uninstalls that muon would perform was astonishing, and a bit intimidating - including the removal of muon itself. I give up - for now - because top still shows an astounding number of akonadi tasks running, and then restarting after killing each, not to mention strange nepomuk activity when I have unchecked it in System Settings -> Desktop Search.

I don't want, or need, the KDE PIM - Thunderbird and Lightning work quite nicely.

But, what I will do is start looking at other DEs that don't impose such heavy indexing requirements on a user who doesn't need such indexing. I use meaningful structure and filenaming approaches to organizing and finding data - metatags are way over-rated anyway. It's like looking for keywords in a database to find information when you have no idea what those keywords could possibly be. Yes, I know it can be done, but in a personal computing environment it makes no sense, becomes a stumbling block, and a huge waste of resources.

So thank you very much, and eventually it will be goodbye.

einar
Administrator
OS
But, what I will do is start looking at other DEs that don't impose such heavy indexing requirements

There are a number of misconceptions here:

• Akonadi is not used for indexing, but to provide a common, application independent way to access PIM data
  • The Nepomuk semantic framework is also used for indexing, but it is mostly about storing data and its relationships
  • Nothing has been "Imposed", otherwise you would not be able to turn things off if you wanted to (and you can)
  • There are known performance bottlenecks which are being worked on (http://www.progdan.cz/2013/07/whats-new ... adi-world/)

That said, no one has issues if you think KDE PIM is not suited for you.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
O.K., one more time. I'm sure that no one has a problem with ditching KDE PIM, I (and others) have not been "banned" for admitting to using Thunderbird/Lightning. But the problem is, based on your answer, that Akonadi and Nepomuk are used for much more than just PIM, and I do understand the concept of indexing. I've ditched KDE PIM, but still Akonadi is doing something on my system based on a reboot and just now viewing top after ditching the PIM packages, so that dependency theory is toast.

And, as I said, in order to get rid of Akonadi and Nepomuk by removing their respective packages, the amount of change that will be required in terms of what will be INSTALLED as well as UNINSTALLED indicates probable catastrophic results, post-ditch. So, in fact, a normal install of KDE DOES require (meaning imposed) Akonadi and Nepomuk, without asking whether i really want all that stuff or not.

Just wanted to make that perfectly clear. My search continues for a better DE.

Thank you, and now goodbye :(

leifbk
Registered Member
OS
Code: Select all
leif@balapapa ~/projects/transfer/scripts $ akonadictl restart
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
leif@balapapa ~/projects/transfer/scripts $ search paths:  ("/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/opt/bin", "/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.6.3", "/usr/games/bin", "/usr/sbin", "/usr/local/sbin", "/usr/local/libexec", "/usr/libexec", "/opt/mysql/libexec", "/opt/local/lib/mysql5/bin", "/opt/mysql/sbin")
akonadi.collectionattributetable                   OK
akonadi.collectionmimetyperelation                 OK
akonadi.collectionpimitemrelation                  OK
akonadi.collectiontable                            OK
akonadi.flagtable                                  OK
akonadi.mimetypetable                              OK
akonadi.parttable                                  OK
akonadi.pimitemflagrelation                        OK
akonadi.pimitemtable                               OK
akonadi.resourcetable                              OK
akonadi.schemaversiontable                         OK
mysql.columns_priv                                 OK
mysql.db                                           OK
mysql.event                                        OK
mysql.func                                         OK
mysql.general_log
Error    : You can't use locks with log tables.
status   : OK
mysql.help_category                                OK
mysql.help_keyword                                 OK
mysql.help_relation                                OK
mysql.help_topic                                   OK
mysql.host                                         OK
mysql.ndb_binlog_index                             OK
mysql.plugin                                       OK
mysql.proc                                         OK
mysql.procs_priv                                   OK
mysql.servers                                      OK
mysql.slow_log
Error    : You can't use locks with log tables.
status   : OK
mysql.tables_priv                                  OK
mysql.time_zone                                    OK
mysql.time_zone_leap_second                        OK
mysql.time_zone_name                               OK
mysql.time_zone_transition                         OK
mysql.time_zone_transition_type                    OK
mysql.user                                         OK
Nepomuk Query Server not available
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
search paths:  ("/usr/local/bin", "/usr/bin", "/bin", "/opt/bin", "/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.6.3", "/usr/games/bin")
search paths:  ("/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins", "/home/leif/.kde4/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/qt4/plugins", "/usr/bin", "/home/leif/.kde4/lib64/kde4/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/")
search paths:  ("/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins", "/home/leif/.kde4/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/plugins/", "/usr/lib64/qt4/plugins", "/usr/bin", "/home/leif/.kde4/lib64/kde4/", "/usr/lib64/kde4/")
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe trash" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe trash"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe Systempost" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe Systempost"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe Autopost" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe Autopost"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe trash" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe trash"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe sent-mail" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe sent-mail"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe Autopost" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe Autopost"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke flytte e-post fra mappe sent-mail" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke flytte e-post fra mappe sent-mail"
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(9298) OutboxQueue::Private::addIfComplete: Item 35644 does not have the required attribute Address.
akonadi_nepomuk_feeder(9307) FeederPluginloader::feederPluginsForMimeType: No feeder for type  "inode/directory"  found

leif@balapapa ~/projects/transfer/scripts $  MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35645
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35646
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35647
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35648
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35649
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35650
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35651
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35652
 MailFilterAgent::itemAdded : 35653
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35645  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35646  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
QStringList Akonadi::NepomukSearch::search(const QString&) Calling blockingQuery() failed!
QStringList Akonadi::NepomukSearch::search(const QString&) Calling blockingQuery() failed!
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35647  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35648  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35649  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35650  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
MailFilterAgent::itemsReceiviedForFiltering message not filtered because its status:  true false false
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35652  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
 itemsReceiviedForFiltering********************************************** : 35653  resource : "akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6"
akonadi_maildispatcher_agent(9298) OutboxQueue::Private::addIfComplete: Item 35644 does not have the required attribute Address.
Maildir::size unable to find:  "1375528151.R173.balapapa"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): Failed to read item "1375528151.R173.balapapa" in Maildir "/home/leif/Mail/NSF"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Det oppsto en feil da e-poster ble lest fra mappe "
ItemRetrieverException :  Unable to retrieve item from resource: <html>Ugyldig element hentet</html>
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): Failed to read item "1375528151.R173.balapapa" in Maildir "/home/leif/Mail/NSF"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Det oppsto en feil da e-poster ble lest fra mappe "
ItemRetrieverException :  Unable to retrieve item from resource: <html>Ugyldig element hentet</html>
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe NSF" FolderType= 2
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "Kan ikke endre e-poster i mappe NSF"
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leif%40solumslekt.org@mail.solumslekt.org:995/index") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leif%40solumslekt.org@mail.solumslekt.org:995/uidl") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leif%40solumslekt.org@mail.solumslekt.org:995/download/") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:

leif@balapapa ~/projects/transfer/scripts $ QStringList Akonadi::NepomukSearch::search(const QString&) Calling blockingQuery() failed!
Error during executing query "UPDATE PimItemTable SET rev = :0, remoteId = :1, remoteRevision = :2, collectionId = :3, mimeTypeId = :4, datetime = :5, atime = :6, dirty = :7, size = :8 WHERE ( id = :9 )" :  "Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement"
akonadi_mixedmaildir_resource_6(9306)/akonadiresource (maildir): "NO Unable to write item changes into the database
"
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leif%40solumslekt.org@mail.solumslekt.org:995/index") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leif%40solumslekt.org@mail.solumslekt.org:995/uidl") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leif%40solumslekt.org@mail.solumslekt.org:995/download/") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_17(9310)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
akonadi_pop3_resource_15(9308)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3://webmaster%40genealogi.no@mailstore01.uniweb.no:110/index") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_15(9308)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3://webmaster%40genealogi.no@mailstore01.uniweb.no:110/uidl") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_15(9308)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3://webmaster%40genealogi.no@mailstore01.uniweb.no:110/download/") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_15(9308)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
akonadi_pop3_resource_16(9309)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leifbk%40online.no@pop.online.no:995/index") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_16(9309)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leifbk%40online.no@pop.online.no:995/uidl") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_16(9309)/kio (KIOJob) KIO::TransferJob::slotData: mimeType() not emitted when sending first data!; job URL = KUrl("pop3s://leifbk%40online.no@pop.online.no:995/download/") data size = 0
akonadi_pop3_resource_16(9309)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:

Can anybody tell me wtf all this means? And please give me my KMail 1 back. I need a mail client that just works. I don't want to be a guinea pig for beta software.
google01103
Manager
leifbk - please do not thread hijack, it will lessen your chances of getting resolution and is considered bad form

kindly start a new thread and include a description of your problem and tell us what you are running and why you needed to restart akonadictl

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

ermonnezza
Registered Member
OS
My two cents. I have been using KDE since about twelve years, and every
new version has been heavier and heavier on my hardware, with no major advantage
in change. Especially since KDE4 arrived. I am more and more frustrated by KDE and other free software jumping
on the programmed obsolescence bandwagon. I have no problem at work, but
I mostly use old second hand machines at home, and I can tell you that running KDE
on a PentiumIV has become overkill.
I also strongly disagree on resources requirements:
akonadiserver regularly eats up about 1G of memory on my system!

BTW: on KUbuntu 12.04, the path for the akonadi configuration file is

Code: Select all
~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc