This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How can I get rid of Akonadi or at least put it in jail?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
screwdriver0815
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

after openSUSE 12.1 came out, with KDE 4.7, I tried to use Kmail2 and all the new features which are connected to it.
At first, I was somehow surprised in a positive way, but soon I had to realise that it in fact is as bad as all the comments say all over the web.

Mainly the issue of not being able to send or to receive emails drives me crazy.
I also found out why this is (just in case...): Sometimes Kwallet closes the wallet and then Kmail2 can not do anything related to connecting, passwords etc. anymore.
But it forces the user to use kwallet with a huge bunch of failure messages in the first place.
Solution is: restart the system and make sure Kwallet is open. But I just wanna send a stupid E-mail...

Anyway, I gave up on it and with it I also gave up on Akonadi because without Kmail (be it Kmail1 or Kmail2) Akonadi doesn´t make sense for my work and for my usage of the computer.

So now I don´t use it anymore. But I also don´t want to waste system resouces on it. Mainly processing power and RAM usage.

So, is there a way to switch it off completely or to prevent it from starting when starting the computer?
I presume that I can not uninstall it?

any answer on this would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
I found nothing except break package dependencies and remove akonadi-runtime and kdepim4-runtime packages because even you kill akonadi nightmare you suddenly found that is running again.

I using this method for months in two different systems, 11.3 and 12.1, without any collateral problems except the dependencies one.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
google01103
Manager
If you don't use kdepim then I don't think Akonadi uses much if any cpu, you can test this statement by running ksysguard filtering on akonadi and adding the "cpu time' column. It also doesn't use much in the way of ram, again test by using ksysguard and filtering on akonadi.

If you want to stop it running try running the command: akonadictl stop

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

screwdriver0815
Registered Member
OS
I watched it a while in Ksysguard and it used 2% CPU and some 48 MB of RAM. Yeah, it is not much... but if we always say "it´s not much, so let it be", we end up where Windows is right now ;)

I found a trick:

http://windhauch.net/kde-4-6-schlanker-machen/

but it is in german.

basically it says:

in the file /.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
set the option StartServer=true to StartServer=false

and then restart. I did it and now I don´t have any Akonadi anymore in Ksysguard and yet I did not find any negative impact on the behaviour of the system.
google01103
Manager
screwdriver0815 wrote:<snip>
<snip>

correction the file should be ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

screwdriver0815
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:
screwdriver0815 wrote:<snip>
<snip>

correction the file should be ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc

yes, that´s right. To be sure: it is a hidden folder in the /home directory.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
screwdriver0815 wrote:I watched it a while in Ksysguard and it used 2% CPU and some 48 MB of RAM. Yeah, it is not much... but if we always say "it´s not much, so let it be", we end up where Windows is right now ;)

I found a trick:

http://windhauch.net/kde-4-6-schlanker-machen/

but it is in german.

basically it says:

and then restart. I did it and now I don´t have any Akonadi anymore in Ksysguard and yet I did not find any negative impact on the behaviour of the system.

I found this page:

http://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi#Disabli ... _subsystem

that basically explain the same :).

But this warning is important:
Remember!

If you don't want to have Akonadi running on your system, you can not use any of the Akonadi-enabled applications. Such applications will start Akonadi, whenever they need its services even if you have disabled it. See the list of Akonadi-enabled applications. Also note, that some Plasma widgets, such as the Digital Clock uses Akonadi

Rob5
Registered Member
Ignacio Serantes wrote: the Digital Clock uses Akonadi

This really looks like a developer joke. o) o)
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
The Digital Clock uses Akonadi for it's calendar functionality - so it can show upcoming events you have.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Rob5
Registered Member
Akonadi and Nepomuck can be easily disabled.
The problem is that it is "easy" only if you have spent hours to not say days to identify the solution.

Code: Select all
  NEPO="/usr/share/autostart/nepomukserver.desktop"
  [ -e "$NEPO" ] && (mv $NEPO $NEPO.disabled)

sed -i '/StartServer/s/true/false/' ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
and apply this each time the KDE system is updated.

The major problem is to be able to find a distribution proposing the choice:

»» Do you really want or need kmail~korganizer~nepomuk~akonadi~soprano~strigi~virtuoso Yes or No ?
This would facilitate the life of many KDE users.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Rob5 wrote:Akonadi and Nepomuck can be easily disabled.
The problem is that it is "easy" only if you have spent hours to not say days to identify the solution.

Code: Select all
  NEPO="/usr/share/autostart/nepomukserver.desktop"
  [ -e "$NEPO" ] && (mv $NEPO $NEPO.disabled)

sed -i '/StartServer/s/true/false/' ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc
and apply this each time the KDE system is updated.

The major problem is to be able to find a distribution proposing the choice:

»» Do you really want or need kmail~korganizer~nepomuk~akonadi~soprano~strigi~virtuoso Yes or No ?
This would facilitate the life of many KDE users.

I don't use Akonadi but, for Nepomuk, in openSUSE since I have memory, there is a check to disable Nepomuk in the entry Desktop Search and for sure is working. If this configuration option is not available this is a problem related to your distribution.

So there is not necessary to do bizarre things to disable Nepomuk like with Akonadi. And as I explained in other post, this method to disable Akonadi is useful only for avoid the start this server when you login. If you run a program or plasmoid with even the minor Akonadi dependency the server will starts and begin to spend resources for nothing.

There are two secure methods to disable Akonadi forever:
1) Break the package dependencies in your distribution. I did this and I had no problem at all running KDE but it's problematic updating packages.
2) Kill akonadi, delete all configuration files related to akonadi, delete all the content for ~/.local/akonadi and ~/.config/akonadi and then remove all permissions in that directories.

Rob5
Registered Member
Breaking package dependency will work once, until next update.

You will find many more users switching from KDE to gnome or XFCE, than users trying to break package dependencies.

Life should be made easier to "normal" users who are not all developers only.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Rob5 wrote:Breaking package dependency will work once, until next update.

You will find many more users switching from KDE to gnome or XFCE, than users trying to break package dependencies.

Life should be made easier to "normal" users who are not all developers only.

Like a check to disable Nepomuk in the Control Panel? As I explained Nepomuk is not Akonadi.

Rob5
Registered Member
Ignacio Serantes wrote:Like a check to disable Nepomuk in the Control Panel? As I explained Nepomuk is not Akonadi.
The subject is: How can I get rid of Akonadi.

By usually, the request is more globally: how to disable all this stuff I don't need, or much better, how to not install it.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Rob5 wrote:
Ignacio Serantes wrote:Like a check to disable Nepomuk in the Control Panel? As I explained Nepomuk is not Akonadi.
The subject is: How can I get rid of Akonadi.

By usually, the request is more globally: how to disable all this stuff I don't need, or much better, how to not install it.

Rob5 wrote:Akonadi and Nepomuck can be easily disabled.

This are your words and I trying to explain that, for Nepomuk you don't need to "spend hours to not say days". Just open the Control Panel, a common place to configure Desktops, and disable Nepomuk using a check. Seems easy to me.