This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Save me from kmail2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ddan
Registered Member
OS

Re: Save me from kmail2

Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 am
rossl if you like kmail1 take a look my procedure "How to compile and install kmail1" posted on this forum.

ddan
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:58 pm
Dieter Schroeder wrote:Kmail is unusable dot
It was and it is the worst application in the whole PIM family, which also isn't a shining example for OSS.
Too complicate for the average user, instable and the additional pain of the akonadi hell.
Please never show anyone interested in KDE any pim application. He will run away screaming.
I prefer reading my mails on my mobile and maybe one day I'll move to Thunderbird.

m0nk

One year later and on 4.11. Okay it is beta, but...
Unfortunatly opened kmail through a mailto: link in firefox. Oh man, opened and hung.
You are in offline mode. Click here to switch to online mode. Clicked and it hung
Clicked on a folder: Content will be fetched. Guess what? It hung
Opened again and crashed immediately.
Uups, it didn't close. It sits in the background doing the best it can: nothing.
killall kmail and restarted. Hours later it has fetched my enormous number of Gmails (53!).
C'mon guys, do yourself a favor and throw the whole akonadi/nepomuk s##t overboard.
Who is using it? or better who still tries to use kdepim4?
I'm on roundcube now. Who needs k.o.mail.
This is getting awkward.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
einar
Administrator
OS

Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:43 am
Dieter Schroeder wrote:C'mon guys, do yourself a favor and throw the whole akonadi/nepomuk s##t overboard.
Who is using it? or better who still tries to use kdepim4?
I'm on roundcube now. Who needs k.o.mail.

Please have a look at http://www.kde.org/code-of-conduct and the forum rules. No matter what your level of frustration is (justified or not), you have to abide by them. Bumping a thread with such statements is not productive for the discussion. Also, I remind everyone that this forum is for solving issues related to Kontact and PIM in general, please use Discussions & Opinions if you want to argue your point of view.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Plasma FAQ maintainer - Plasma programming with Python
St. John Red
Registered Member

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:47 am
KMail... let see...

...i find an email in one of my folders dated back 2003 ...it looks like i use KMail for more than a decade now!!!

Is not it great?! xD

However i do obviously prefer pop3 and the first thing i do after reinstalling kde is to turn the ... thing called akonadi off.

Another point to consider is the linux distribution, i obviously do not use rpm based distro, but debian / gentoo / slackware also arch at some point.

KMail / my email folder survived all of these.

Hope that helps.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm
Whether your distribution uses rpm or a different package format has nothing to do with kmail at all.

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
walef
Registered Member

Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:31 pm
Hi
More trouble here. Since this morning it seems Akonadi eats all my memory (8+2 GB) as fast as it can and then the machine dies. Deleting everything with Akonadi did not help.
How can I get my kmail2 mails back to kmail1. Any solution which does not take days of work. I am using kmail at work with only about 150000 emails
Version: 4.14 by the way.
einar
Administrator
OS

Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:13 pm
Please open a separate thread with a detailed error description. I'm having around 100K mails and no issues, so we'd need more details to precisely pinpoint your problem.

kwanzapili
Registered Member

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 pm
I only occasionally use kmail2 (usually when I am using KDE4 - 4.14.9). I prefer all the mail clients kmail, evolution, pine, etc. to share the same email folders. I had this sent up, but each time I use kmail2, it creates 100s of connections to the mysql server until it crashes. The culprit is akonadi. I have tried it with mysql and postgresql. Mysql will work some days and refuse connections most days; postgresql never works. So I am very keen to avoid the awful akonadi at all costs. My question, is there a way to use kmail2 without akonadi? In the meantime, the option I have taken is using kmail from KDE3 instead.

Thanks,

KP
einar
Administrator
OS

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:46 pm
It's not possible, as it's an essential part of the system.