This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

KDE + SyncEvolution

Tags: syncevolution, akonadi, syncml syncevolution, akonadi, syncml syncevolution, akonadi, syncml
(comma "," separated)
Bmn

KDE + SyncEvolution

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:08 pm
hi,

KDE lacks centralized sync tool: Bug #107681 dates back to 2005 and since then several tries to change this were made but sadly they all stalled.
The most promising work lastly was done by Dinesh for GSoC 2010 & was continued by Rohan Garg for GSoC 2011:
  • KConfigModule to configure your SyncEvolution accounts
  • A QML Plasmoid which lists your SyncEvolution profiles
Following Rohan's latest statement "Integration with bluedevil is also on itsway" - but no more life sign was made on this project since September...

Patrick Ohly, syncevolution-dev, asked on his blog for KDE-contributors to step in last November ("State of the union"):
Patrick Ohly about KDE/Akonadi wrote:The Akonadi backend is available in the source code. Support for KWallet
instead of GNOME keyring is also there. A KDE GUI is in development. [= the work of GSoC2011 for download at googlecode]

TODO test and release binaries
  • nightly builds needs to be reconfigured to enable building the KDE support
  • nightly testing needs to include KDE backends, both for unit testing the
    backends and real combinations with peers; it depends on the KDE developers to do something if issues are found in those tests (if any are found)

I think the basics are done & it would be easy for anybody interested (and capable) on this to get this ready following Rohan's post:
The entire thing needs a bit of a brush up, some small code optimization’s and stuff, so you can expect a full blown project repository soon!
Any progress on this would be highly appreciated! ^-^
Bmn

Re: KDE + SyncEvolution

Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:14 pm
little update: http://syncevolution.org/wiki/kde-akonadi
(but still without GUI)
Bmn

Re: KDE + SyncEvolution

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:41 pm
SyncEvolution's kwallet-support matures thanks to Patrick Ohly:
I've installed KDE on my system. Previously I only some bits and pieces of it installed (like KWallet and Akonadi), but obviously the limited kind of testing that I had done with that wasn't enough. I was hoping that a KDE developer would help with that, but no luck so far (hint, hint, ...).

I just can repeat, what Bleck posted:
I hope some KDE developpers will take over. Akonadi is (was ?) such a key feature of KDE 4 that I was staggered it still didn't provide native syncML support. Now that you've pushed syncevolution so far into the KDE direction, I hope they will contribute to the project and add the final integration.