This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dictation?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mma8x
Registered Member

Dictation?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:44 pm
Looking for a dictation scenario. I saw a demo on youtube but can't seem to find the plugin...
google01103
Manager

Re: Dictation?

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:11 pm
versions of Linux, KDE and Simon ?

I don't have Simon installed but from the Handbook:

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

google01103
Manager

Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:47 pm
ok I loaded Simon and found it, after going thru the setup at the last screen I clicked "activate standard OR "open standard" and got this screen

then Commands -> manage plugins -> add -> scroll down (almost at the bottom) and you'll see "dictation"

the dictation plugin should be included in the Somon package

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mma8x
Registered Member

Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 pm
I found that plug in as well , but it doesn't seem to do too much . I think that you need a scenario in order to work the program; there doesn't appear to be a dictation scenario , and the developer's website appears to show the same .
bedahr
OS

Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:17 am
Hello!

Yes, the dictation plugin provides the functionality to type out whatever Simon recognizes. For a real dictation system, Simon also needs to recognize what you say. For dictation, that requires large vocabulary continuous speech recognition.
We're working on integrating this in Simon, but this is a long-term goal and our current prototype is not yet ready for end-user testing. Sorry.
Watch https://simon.kde.org/aggregator for updates!

Best regards,
Peter