This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Duplicate Letters and Words in Dictation Output

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
gloss
Registered Member
Hi,

I am building a scenario to be able to dictate fencing actions. Because the vocabulary is fairly small (50-60 words) and I am the only user I am already getting a pretty high recognition rate even without too much training. However I am having an issue with the dictation output. Sometimes it prints the words correctly with no problems: "attack parry riposte" for instance. Sometimes, however, it adds duplicate letters to the output: "aattack ppaarry ripposste." I think it is more often the first letter of a word or sentence that gets repeated but not always. Sometimes it also repeats sentences: if "attack" and "parry riposte" are two separate sentences in the grammar, I get something like "attack attack parry riposte parry riposte" (or "aattack atttaack pparry rriposte ppaarryy rripostte"). Otherwise everything is working well but I'm not quite sure how to solve this issue. I think I read somewhere that the dictation plugin emulates keyboard strokes to write so I tried adjusting my keyboard settings so it takes longer to get a duplicate letter if you hold down a key (on the theory that maybe the plugin was emulating keyboard strokes for slightly too long of a time) but that did not seem to fix the issue. Also that would not explain the repeated sentences if the two issues are related. Thank you for any help you can provide!
bedahr
OS
Hello,

that is indeed very interesting. What OS is this on? Simon version?

Best regards,
Peter
gloss
Registered Member
Simon 0.4.1 on Windows 8
bedahr
OS
:( Windows. I see
That's kinda difficult to debug as I don't have a Windows computer to reproduce this on.

I think the two issues may be unrelated. The first one (repeated letters) sounds like a problem in the event simulation layer. Your guess with the keyboard repetition wasn't bad - that didn't help at all, though, right?

Is it a "fast" computer? (specs appreciated, but not required)

Best regards,
Peter
gloss
Registered Member
The specs are:

Processor - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @1.70GHz 2.40GHz
Installed RAM - 6.00 GB
System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I haven't been able to replicate the repeated sentences so far and the repeated letters do not seem to occur in any correlation with keyboard settings.
bedahr
OS
Hi,

well that's certainly fast enough (to process the input queue without a hassle). Please open a bug at bugs.kde.org against Simon for the issue. Maybe someone else can confirm that it's happening and we can check for common elements in the setup. Right now, I'm afraid there is not much I can do for you. Sorry.

Best regards,
Peter