This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Greek accents problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
askembris
Registered Member
OS

Greek accents problem

Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:03 pm
So after the latest update to KDE Frameworks 5.53.0 and qt 5.12, there was a change with the way Greek accents are handled.

Context; Greek vowels can be accented to indicate where the stress lies in a word: α - ά, η - ή, etc.

Usually, to enter an accent when in Greek layout you have to press semicolon before the vowel. Pressing semicolon activates the "accent mode" but no feedback is provided; pressing a vowel will then produce an accented vowel. This is the same way as this process works in Windows.

After the recent update, this mechanism was changed somewhat. Now pressing the semicolon actually produces an "underlined accent" feedback to indicate that accent mode is active. This is the same way the process works on Macs.

This is slightly annoying after so many years to me, as it produces an extra element of feedback that is distracting. Also, it seems to work reasonably well on my Intel graphics laptop, but not so on my multi-monitor desktop. On the desktop, pressing semicolon will make the accent appear over a specific location on one monitor, which is not where the text is being typed. Also, it will appear with a dark background, which is much more annoying, as you have a part of the screen flashing at seemingly random moments as you type.

I am not at all sure which component is the culprit here. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find out what is responsible and how to disable this feature if possible?