This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Jovie

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mshelby
Registered Member
OS

Jovie

Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 pm
I'm reading the Jovie Handbook
(KDE Help Version 4.6.2 (4.6.2)Using KDE Development Platform 4.6.2 (4.6.2) optimized by the Chakra-Project)

and it says:

Speaking Text from Web Pages
While running the KDE Konqueror web browser, you can speak the text of the web page displayed. First ensure that Jovie is running. Highlight the text you want spoken and choose Tools → Speak Text on the main menu. After a moment, the highlighted text should begin speaking.

Neither my konqueror nor rekonq applications have 'speak text' in the tools menu or any other menu or setting I can find. Can anyone else confirm this on their desktop? I listed my version number and system name (Chakra). If replying please list yours.

Also, if Jovie (ktts) doesn't work, how do visually impaired people use KDE?

Proud to be a user of KDE since version 1.0
jpwhiting
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Jovie

Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:50 pm
Ah, this was a regression. Thanks for noticing. It's fixed in the upcoming 4.6.3 release.

As for visually impaired people using KDE that doesn't really happen yet. We are hoping to solve the issue with qt-atspi and some work that will be done this summer to make konqueror, kmail and other kde applications work with the Orca screen reader.