This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Problem running marble built from git sources

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
josh
Registered Member
Hi All,

I just built Marble from the git sources. This is on Ubuntu 12.04.* Built with debug enabled and for Qt only.

Build went fine (once i put QtSDK on my PATH).

When I try to run "marble", I get the following error:
%> marble
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/josh/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/placemarks/
ReadSettings: mapThemeId: "earth/srtm/srtm.dgml"
Invalid imagemap!
Finished loading all placemarks 376
Some or all base tiles for "earth/srtm" could not be created.
Base tiles for "earth/srtm" not available. Skipping.
Updating Settings ...
Updating Settings ...

The app just sits there at that point since, presumably, it cant load the map. :(

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any clues?

* Note, the only reason I'm building from source is that the version of Marble shipped with ubuntu 12.04 does not include GeoDataTrack.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Have you tried installing the marble compiled from source into a certain directory (use the cmake argument -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to determine where you want it installed) and tried launching it from there?

This can be anywhere, including a location under your home directory.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
josh
Registered Member
bcooksley wrote:Have you tried installing the marble compiled from source into a certain directory (use the cmake argument -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to determine where you want it installed) and tried launching it from there?

This can be anywhere, including a location under your home directory.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Things are working better, but the problem now seems to be just with the Atlas map.

I just tried your suggestion, configured cmake like this:
Code: Select all
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/marble/ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug -DQTONLY=ON ../marble

Then when I run it I get to the "Creating Map" dialog, where it sits. Console shows this message:
%> bin/marble
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/josh/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/placemarks/
Invalid imagemap!

If I close the "Creating Maps" dialog, the console shows:
Base tiles for "earth/srtm" not available. Skipping all texture layers.

The app eventually loads, but the Atlas map is missing. I am able to select other maps: Night, Satellite, OSM. Those work fine.
Earthwings
KDE Developer
OS
Did you run 'make install' as well? If you execute marble from the build directory, it might start up, but files are missing which are copied to the right location during 'make install'.

Another thing that can go wrong is when you have a local installation and do not uninstall the Ubuntu version of Marble. In that case you might run the local marble binary which uses the system marble library. That results in undefined behavior (and often nasty runtime problems). It can be fixed easily by uninstalling all marble packages with your package manager (make sure to remove libmarble-dev, libmarblewidget13, libmarblewidget14, marble-data)
Beacon11
Registered Member
I have this exact problem on Ubuntu 12.04. I just checked out the git sources and compiled with:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=~/marble -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debug -DQTONLY=ON ~/src/marble
make install

Then I run it:

cd ~/marble
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/marble/lib
bin/marble

And the "Creating Map" dialog comes up for Atlas and just sits there at 0%, and in the terminal I see

QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/<username>/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/placemarks/
Invalid imagemap!

So I hit cancel on the "Creating Map" dialog, and the Cancel button grays out but nothing else happens. So I X out the dialog, and Marble comes up with a white earth, and the terminal has a few additional messages:

Base tiles for "earth/srtm" not available. Skipping all texture layers.

I have no Marble Ubuntu packages installed-- just the git source. This also happens if I don't install to a prefix-- just sudo make install.

Last edited by Beacon11 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beacon11
Registered Member
Ah shoot I quoted instead of edited... this post has been deleted.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you confirm that a "strm" map exists under ~/marble?

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Beacon11
Registered Member
bcooksley: I can confirm that ~/marble/share/marble/data/maps/earth/srtm/srtm.dgml exists. Does that mean the map exists?
Beacon11
Registered Member
Any update on this? Several other problems seem to stem from this that make Marble rather unusable (e.g. none of my custom maps load-- they're all black).
lballesteros
Registered Member
Hi, the problem that maps loads black could be at the .dgml, try to modify it. When I delete this lines referred to clouds.jpg the map loaded perfect because the clouds.jpg file wasn't in my project:

<texture name="clouds_data" expire="10800"><!-- type="texture"-->
<sourcedir format="JPG"> earth/clouds </sourcedir>
<installmap> clouds.jpg </installmap>
</texture>
Beacon11
Registered Member
Thanks lballesteros, but my custom map is a tiled map from the open mapquest, so it downloads its images. Also, the exact map works fine in Ubuntu 10.04.
Beacon11
Registered Member
Josh, you marked this as solved, but never posted any sort of solution! How did you solve it?