This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Convert Latitude and Longitude to Tile Y and Tile X

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Beacon11
Registered Member
Hello. I have a tool that generates map tiles given a map image, latitude and longitude of the bottom left corner, and map width and height in meters. In order to determine which tiles need to be generated, I convert lats/lons to tiles by using the formulas provided here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames . I'll paste them in for reference.

Code: Select all
int long2tilex(double lon, int z)
{
   return (int)(floor((lon + 180.0) / 360.0 * pow(2.0, z)));
}

int lat2tiley(double lat, int z)
{
   return (int)(floor((1.0 - log( tan(lat * M_PI/180.0) + 1.0 / cos(lat * M_PI/180.0)) / M_PI) / 2.0 * pow(2.0, z)));
}

double tilex2long(int x, int z)
{
   return x / pow(2.0, z) * 360.0 - 180;
}

double tiley2lat(int y, int z)
{
   double n = M_PI - 2.0 * M_PI * y / pow(2.0, z);
   return 180.0 / M_PI * atan(0.5 * (exp(n) - exp(-n)));
}

Note that all examples in this post use a zoom level of 18.

The only problem is: while longitudes seem to work, the latitude functions don't! For instance: it claims that the tile Y containing the latitude of 0 is 131072, which is correct; 131072's NW corner is indeed at a latitude of 0. However, it also claims the NW corner of tile Y 131071 is 0.00137329 degrees, which is incorrect! It's actually 0.000694 degrees. That trend continues-- latitudes always seem to be multiplied by two when tiley2lat() is used, etc. Does anyone know what's wrong? Does Marble have a different/better way of doing these calculations?
Beacon11
Registered Member
I see some code that MIGHT do what I'm looking for... but it goes way over my head. I'm talking about TileScalingTextureMapper::mapTexture(). It seems to load tiles corresponding to the viewport center, but I don't quite understand the logic it uses to turn those lats/lons into tile IDs. It doesn't look like there are simple functions to do this, huh?
tackat
KDE Developer
OS
No, mapTexture is rather about triggering and doing the texture mapping.

I think

TileId TileId::fromCoordinates(const GeoDataCoordinates &coords, int zoomLevel)

is a bit more about what you are after. The only thing I wonder about is why it doesn't take the source projection into account (Mercator vs. Equirect).