This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Marble touch problem no automatic 'focus' on globe

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fraujansen
Registered Member
Hello Everyone!
I have a problem running Marble (v. 1.4.5 stable release, KDE 4.9.5) in Ubuntu 12.10 (generic 3.5 Kernel on a x86) together with a capacitive 15’’ touch-glass. I’ve been looking through the bug-list but I couldn’t find any bug describing my problem.

The problem is that after starting Marble the touch (the cursor) does not 'get the focus’ on the application so I cannot spin (neither zoom in/out) the globe by touch nor clicking on the menus. In every other application the touch works as normal (drag, click, pinch...)

Spinning the globe, clicking on the menus with the mouse cursor works as expected.

I’ve found, that by opening and closing the “Configure Marble Virtual Globe...”-window under 'Settings' the focus comes to the touch and I’m able to spin the globe and the cursor does 'touch' the globe.

I’ve been looking through the properties of the window and I can see that the events of the touch do arrive at the window but… maybe not to the 'program itself'???

I’ve found, that this problem does not occur if I start Marble as root (or with sudo).
It does not depend on the touch (I tested two different) and it neither depends on the desktop manager (Gnome, KDE, Unity or XFCE nor without desk. manager)

Has anyone the same problem or can anyone reproduce it? Does anybody know why it does not work, where the problem lies and how I can fix it?
Thank you very much!

p.s. sorry for my sometimes incorrect english

Daniel
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Can you reproduce this issue under another user? It could be that some prior configurations are preventing it from working under your normal user (which would explain why it works as root).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
fraujansen
Registered Member
Hello,
yes, I can reproduce this with any new created user (with a clean, empty home directory) and the effects are the same than with the user I tested with.

Regards,
Daniel
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Does touching / dragging / etc work on any part of the Marble window, or does it only begin working when you touch the window decoration?
As Marble does have some touch specific elements (at least in it's mobile version) there could be something from there interfering perhaps. You might need to use the Touch / Mobile specific version of Marble as a workaround if that works well enough for your purposes.

KDE Sysadmin
fraujansen
Registered Member
Hello Everyone
I really appologize for my lag!

To summarize my problem....
With the touch I am able to move, resize and maximize windows, click and double click. I can implement gestures and switch through virtual desktops with two fingers. The touch seems to work on every window (except for marble)

For better understanding of this behaviour I've uploaded a video on youtube --> http://youtu.be/cemF-bz46zo

As you can see, I am able to use the touch as a pointing device (select text, click, double click...) on the window decoration but I am unable to get the cursor "into" the marble window and therefore I cannot "spin" the marble earth-globe or press any buttons (i.e. the print button)

As you can see from the 15th sec. of the desktop-recording, after I closed the preferences window I am able to spin the globe as normal and everything works.

This behaviour ocurrs only on Marble so I think it could be a bug. I would like to help in any way, please feel free to ask further questions.

Thank you very much.

Yours sincerely
Daniel

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>Does touching / dragging / etc work on any part of the Marble window, or does it only begin working when you touch the window decoration?

It only works on the windows decoration and never "in" the window itself

>>>As Marble does have some touch specific elements (at least in it's mobile version) there could be something from there interfering perhaps. You might need to use the Touch / Mobile specific version of Marble as a workaround if that works well enough for your purposes.

As I have seen, Marble Touch works only on MeeGo and this is a little bit tricky to install on a PC.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Just to eliminate the Gtk style being used by Qt as a cause of this, can you try launching Marble as follows?
Code: Select all
marble -style oxygen

If that fails (due to the style not being found) then try "plastique" instead of "oxygen".

Also, you could check to see if other KDE applications are working properly? Another possibility is that the window manager (Unity / Compiz) is not giving Marble focus for some reason or another.

KDE Sysadmin
fraujansen
Registered Member
Hi!

>>>Just to eliminate the Gtk style being used by Qt as a cause of this, can you try launching Marble as follows?
>>>If that fails (due to the style not being found) then try "plastique" instead of "oxygen".

thank u for your advice, lamentably the behaviour is the same...

>>Also, you could check to see if other KDE applications are working properly?

yes, I've tried a few of them that can manage touch gestures. For example in inkscape I was able to pinch to zoom in and out. It worked there.

>>Another possibility is that the window manager (Unity / Compiz) is not giving Marble focus for some reason or another.

Could also be.
To restrict possible side effects from Unity/Compiz or even Gnome/KDE I started the software without starting an X-session. Something like
lightdm stop
export DISPLAY=':0'
and then starting the software...

The problem still remains... and I have no clue why...

Thank you very much!
best regards,
daniel
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If possible, could you try starting KWin as your window manager, and then Marble touch?
I'm out of ideas at this point - perhaps the Marble developers might know more?

KDE Sysadmin