This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Marble: Graticule Plugin does not show up in plugins dialog

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
crypto
Registered Member
OS
Hi everyone,

I wanted to test the latest features in the marble development version and compiled marble for QT (my KDE is sort of out of date).

Everything works great... except the feature I was really eager to use: The UTM coordinate grid. Here's the problem:

When I start marble, strace shows that the libgraticuleplugin.so is opened and read. But when I search for it in the "Configure Marble" -> "Plugins" dialog, it doesn't show up...

Is this a QT related problem? Or am I simply to dump to figure out how to configure this plugin?

Kind regards,

Crypto
tackat
KDE Developer
OS
Hi,

How did you get the impression that UTM was already supported by the development version? I wish it was supported already. But unfortunately so far it's not ready yet:

The UTM branch for Marble can be found here:

https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/k ... e_utm-mgrs

Clone it and try it. It currently still lacks a few things (i.e. the proper painting of the "irregular" grid cells in UTM.

Maybe you can help us bringing it into shape? :-)

In the future please contact us on marble-devel@kde.org or on IRC: #marble on Freenode.
tackat
KDE Developer
OS
Some more info: in the plugin section the coordinate grid should show up as "Coordinate Grid". But there is no UTM mentioned in there - neither in the current master branch nor in the utm-mgrs branch. The whole functionality is switched on in the utm-mgrs branch by choosing:

Settings->Configure Marble Virtual Globe->View (->) Units (->) Angle: UTM
crypto
Registered Member
OS
Hello tackat,

thanks for your reply.

I got the impression of UTM being supported after searching "kde marble utm coordinate grid" on the web and finding an entry in the kde mailing list from Thorsten Rahn dating back to 2009 (http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu&m=124838053130667&w=2). The message stated that the UTM and MGRS grids would be highly desirable but not having been implented yet.

I then ran into a git commit on http://osdir.com/ml/kde-commits/2011-06/msg03575.html, which showed that someone was implenting it. I figured that it would be in it's early alpha phase but wanted to try it out - somehow I was under the impression that getting the marble development release would include this branch...

Obviously my mistake.

I will look into the marble_utm-mgrs branch as soon as I find some spare time. This feature really interests me and I am quite willing to put some work into it :)

The branch builds ok, but the execution fails with

ASSERT: "!tagHash->contains( name )" in file /home/ichrispa/src/marble-utm-mgrs/src/lib/geodata/writer/GeoTagWriter.cpp, line 40
Aborted

I'll look into it. As I said: time.

Thanks again for your help tackat.

Kind regards,

crypto
crypto
Registered Member
OS
Hello again,

I cruely disabled the assertion and marble_mgrs-utm runs ok.

> Clone it and try it. It currently still lacks a few things

I can see what you mean ^^ mgrs does nothing but show me the Degree Notation and UTM fails to render anything below the 100.000 meter Square Identification level. Since in UTM the borders of these squares overlap, it's really no easy task to implented it.

Still - nice work. I am really looking forward to seeing this feature implemented and merged into marble.
tackat
KDE Developer
OS
> 100.000 meter Square Identification level

Well having that level implemented properly already (and having a proper GeoDataCoordinates::fromString/toString) implementation (possibly based on 3rd party code) would IMHO be a great first step already. Google Earth doesn't offer more than that at the moment as far as I can see.