This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Change location of .kde4 and .kdevduchain directory

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pstein
Registered Member
Hallo,

the following situation: At my workplace in the University (I'm a student) I have my own computer which is connected via network to some server. My home directory (and that of some other students) is located on the server, not on my local drive. When I'm working with KDevelop now, KDevelop has a lot of interaction via network since KDevelop is constantly writing a lot into the .kde4 and .kdevduchain directories. This makes KDevelop slow. I moved the directories to my local drive and replaced them by links, but I'm not completely content with that. I'd rather tell KDE to make this directory directly on my local drive. Is this possible? It also may be sufficient to only move some sub-directories of the above directories.

Thank you in advance!
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Not sure how to move ~/.kdevduchain, but for ~/.kde4 you can set the KDEHOME environment variable.
I would be interested in which files KDevelop is writing into though (strace or lsof are your friends I guess).

I'm going to move this to the KDevelop forum as they may know what environment variables to set to move ~/.kdevduchain.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
pstein
Registered Member
I do not know the exact files either. I just replaced both folders with links and its running faster since then. For .kde4, I know that there is one file in /share/apps/... where KDevelop writes a file for data recovery (e.g. for when it crashes), i.e. KDevelop is writing into this file on disk constantly. But thank you for your help, I will check this out.
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Hi,

in kdevelop master, the kdevduchain directory has been moved to .cache, which is probably a more appropriate location. You can modify the location in older versions by setting the $KDEV_DUCHAIN_DIR environment variable. You can also just symlink that path to somewhere else.

Greetings,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
pstein
Registered Member
Ok, I guess this answers my question. I will try it later on. Thanks for this very fast answers.
pstein
Registered Member
Exporting KDE_HOME worked, but if I do the same with KDEV_DUCHAIN_DIR, nothing happens. It still writes into ~/.kdevduchain. Any suggestions here?
scummos
Global Moderator
OS
Hi,

I'd suggest you try the symlink method, as the environment variable thing will be removed in 4.5 anyways.

Greetings,
Sven

I'm working on the KDevelop IDE.
pstein
Registered Member
Ok, then I'll keep that (it works). The only problem with it is that I often need to log to another via ssh. When I'm then calling some KDE application(usually Kate and only by accident, does not need it anyway), it cannot resolve the link and overwrites it with a new folder, I then need to reset the link which is annoying but not tragical. But it runs fast and smooth now and this is not really a problem.

Thank you for your help.