This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Starting using KDevelop for Plasma Widget development

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yannsalmon
Registered Member
Hello,
I very recently switched from XFCE to KDE/Plasma and I found a Widget for displaying Places that I want to adapt to my needs (namely this one).

So I installed (via apt) kdevelop, plasma-framework, plasma-workspace and plasma-sdk and imported my fork of the git repo into Kdevelop, which recognised the CMakeLists.txt file and the different QML files.

However I am at a loss as to how to get Kdevelop to help me with Plasma modules. Indeed, the FullRepresentation.qml file imports the following
Code: Select all
import org.kde.plasma.core 2.0 as PlasmaCore
import org.kde.plasma.components 2.0 as PlasmaComponents
import org.kde.plasma.extras 2.0 as PlasmaExtras

But Kdevelop underlines this and says "Problem in Semantic analysis, module not found".

I would have expected basic system modules to be automatically searched. But the real problem is :
- I do not know where to configure this in Kdevelop (is it in the Project's Configuration / Language support ?)
- I do not know where the Plasma module definitions are located, and find it generally difficult to find information/help about Plasma (due to search engine results being clotted with blood plasma articles…).
klerik
Registered Member
I have same problem 3 years later and nobody answered that - nice :). I will keep looking for answer somewhere :).
kloop
Registered Member
I'm exactly in the same boat. I try every couple of years, but still stumped as how to teach kdevelop about QML dependencies.

I mean it can't be that complicated, the stuff is running on my desktop as we speak. ;)
niquedegraaff
Registered Member
I'm going to bump this, because this is getting ridiculous. This is not very inviting for new developers to actually start working on KDE or create widgets. The first 'hello world baby steps already are ending in a disaster.

KDevelop creates a beautiful project for you from a plasmoid template. But instantly you get welcomed with 3 error messages in main.qml (as OP said)

Code: Select all
Module not found, some types or properties may not be recognized

And for the life of it.. I can not get rid of those messages. There is no information about how to install these modules at all. And if they are installed, how to point KDevelop to them.

Here ends my journey already, in frustration, just like 5 years ago, when I also tried to do something in Linux, but ended up in a never-ending rabbit-hole :(