This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[SOLVED] Dragonplayer AC3 passthrough/spdif

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
Hi!
In vlc I can passthrough ac3 or dts, how do I achieve this with dragonplayer?
I have a decoder connected to my pc over spdif and it seems that it doesn't get the ac3 stream from a dvd for instance, I don't have this problem with vlc, I rather want to use native kde software though ...

Daniel
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Dragon Player plays all media through Phonon, the KDE Multimedia framework and it decides, based on the configuration in System Settings > Multimedia, which backend and output to send the audio to.

It is highly recommended to use the Xine engine over GStreamer, as GStreamer is known to be buggy.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
that's not my problem, sound works, but it's just stereo even if the dvd is supposed to play ac3. i have selected HDA Intel Digital in multimedia settings
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
I just tried xine-ui, in this applications you can chose your speaker configure, if I select passthrough there I get 5.1 through my soundsystem. But I can't find something similar in phonon. Is there a phonon-xine config, where I can do this? there has to be something cause xine is oviously capable of doing this.
Daniel_Boff
Registered Member
Okay I just solved my problem, could be interesting for everyone using a digital soundsystem.

It seems that phonon doesn't provide ac3 passthrough yet (or better spoken: a UI to achieve it), so here is how I solved this:
In xine-ui I set "pass through" in preferences->audio
Open the xine-ui und phonon-backend-xine configfile
nano .xine/config
nano .config/kde-org/Phonon-Xine.xine.conf

add the lines
audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device: ( ... ) and audio.output.speaker_arrangement:Pass Through
of .xine/config to the Phonon-Xine.xine.conf
(not sure if you really need the first line though)

reboot. I think it should also be possible to replace Phonon-Xine.xine-conf with .xine/config

For me this worked and now dragonplayer uses ac3 passthrough.

edit: no need for audio.device.alsa_passthrough_device: ( ... ) i guess, so you don't even need to install xine-ui at all for the device info

Last edited by Daniel_Boff on Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please file a feature request aganist the Xine Phonon backend at bugs.kde.org, requesting that more Xine configuration options are made available in System Settings.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]