This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why is 'kate' so talky?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
edgue
Registered Member
OS

Why is 'kate' so talky?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:15 am
Hello there,

maybe I am old-fashioned, but very often I am using a konsole to navigate my folders ... and sometimes I wont start dolphin to click on a text file; no I am so outdated that I just type "kate myfile.txt".

Stupid question: why does kate (and probably other kde apps like k3b) print out all these debug messages? No other editor I know does that ...

kate(19936)/kate-filetree KateFileTreePluginView::KateFileTreePluginView: BEGIN: mw: Kate::MainWindow(0x91520d0)
kate(19936)/kate-filetree ProxyItem::ProxyItem: ProxyItem(0x92b50d0,0x0,-1,QObject(0x0) ,"m_root")
kate(19936)/kate-filetree ProxyItem::ProxyItem: ProxyItem(0x92b5df0,0x0,-1,QObject(0x0) ,"Untitled")
kate(19936)/kate-filetree KateFileTreeModel::documentOpened: before add: ProxyItem(0x92b5df0,0x0,-1,KateDocument(0x9206c48) , "Untitled" )
kate(19936)/kate-filetree KateFileTreeModel::setupIcon: BEGIN!
krassboter
Registered Member

Re: Why is 'kate' so talky?  Topic is solved

Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:45 am
Because you did not disable debug-messages.
Open "kdebugdialog", search for "kate" and unselect all checkboxes. Now kate won't talk to you, anymore.
edgue
Registered Member
OS

Re: Why is 'kate' so talky?

Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm
Ah, easy enough. Thank you very much.

Still wondering: why is "debug" stuff enabled by default? It is a fine thing to have such an application to change the settings; but I find it rather surprising, that "debug=on" is the default setting ...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:48 pm
It is not usual for debugging to be enabled by default. However, under certain conditions new debug categories could be created, and the default is for them to be on.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
frasty
Registered Member
OS

Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:18 am
I didn't find kdebugdialog in any menu though.. Maybe it could be useful to expose it under "development" or "utilities" considering that at least in kubuntu many checkboxes are left on by default.

Fedora 32
Plasma 5.19.2
thomjiji
Registered Member

Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:35 pm
frasty wrote:I didn't find kdebugdialog in any menu though.. Maybe it could be useful to expose it under "development" or "utilities" considering that at least in kubuntu many checkboxes are left on by default.

Just type `kdebugdialog5` into terminal, then will popup a window which you can find KDebugDialog of Kate there. Deselect all related to Kate, done. For more info, you can check out the Kate Handbook.
vindositam
Registered Member

Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:38 pm
Looking for a luxurious spa experience that will leave you feeling rejuvenated and confident and have question "how to get rid of nipple hair" ? Look no further than Five Star Laser. Our team of skilled professionals are dedicated to providing top-notch laser hair removal services, skin rejuvenation treatments, and more. Trust us to help you look and feel your best. Schedule your appointment today!