This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

muon package system lock problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
XRIXRI
Registered Member
OS

muon package system lock problem

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:16 pm
I have a problem with tthis app muon software center
google01103
Manager
could you post the exact error message you are seeing? do you have kpackage or apper also installed and running? if so one of those would lock the apt (?) database giving you an access/lock error message when muon tried to access it

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

XRIXRI
Registered Member
OS
This is the exact message: Another application seems to be using the package system at this time. You must close all other package managers before you will be able to install or remove any packages. No, I've got only muon. The problem first appeard after an app update (not muon).
google01103
Manager
look in ksysguard for a running: apper, apt, kpackage or muon process. Could it be a muon process is running in the system tray? Could the apt update still be running?

XRIXRI
Registered Member
OS
there is a kwrapper4 running and i am not sure about the installation because the installer crashed. when it crased it was at 100% but it didn't say anywhere that it was camplete/successful.
google01103
Manager

XRIXRI
Registered Member
OS
i've tried rebooting several times but nothing happend and i tried running the suggestion from the second bug(bug 284962) but it doesn't seems to run.
google01103
Manager
you said "first appeard after an app update (not muon)" you mean apt?

what about this post http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... #msg273098

you may want to post on the Kubuntu forums as Muon may primarily be used there

another bug report https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/855793

some thoughts
- can you use apt?
- using apt install apper (Kpackagekit's replacement), uninstall Muon - may not remove the lock
- can you install and use Synaptic (it's Ubuntu's package manager, correct?)
- does the SoftwareCenter work

kohoutek
Registered Member
Hi,

I don't know if you have solved this yet, but I am having the same problem.

I followed the suggestion in this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.p ... #msg273098

But when I ran
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install -f
, the terminal instructed me to run:

Code: Select all
sudo dpkg --configure -a

which forces dpkg to complete the update.

I then rebooted.

dpkg did complete the update, but the next time I ran apt-get using Muon as well as the terminal, it was blocked again.
tobeorn
Registered Member
I had the same problem, Update manager either wouldn't run, would run forever without doing anything, or would give the error message listed above. When I tried to uncheck some of the zillion updates waiting to install, in order to try a partial update, I found that I could deselect eveything except the MS True-type font package under system updates. Good old Microsoft.
I tried to feel my way through a manual update: Konsole/monitor; sudo, and so on. Up above it says: sudo apt-get install -f, which gives an error, so then: sudo dpkg --configure -a, followed by a retry of the apt-get install thing. That would probably work. But what I used was
$ sudo apt-get upgrade ...[error]
$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Stuff started happening. Cool.
Then we got to a kind of mini-"Blue Screen of Death." A Microsoft End User License Agreement (EULA) blocked the terminal screen with no hint of a way out. It didn't respond to any keys until I hit <F12>, that led to a way out. The update/upgrade/install continued as desired.
Life is beautiful.
After that, I tried Muon Update Manager again. It found a couple of new updates, downloaded them, and installed them -- no problem.