This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How the KIO library modifies timestamps?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kde-ted
Registered Member
Hi everyone,

I analyze the way KDE applications (Dolphin for example) modify file timestamps during different file manipulation (creating a file, deleting a file).

To be clearer it is for example to know which timestamps (M, A, C, B) are updated when creating a file or a folder.

Dolphin and most KDE applications are built using the KDE framework which itself is built on top of Qt.

So I first analyzed the timestamp modification through Qt. Then I analyzed the timestamp modification through Dolphin and found some differences overall.

To understand the origin I looked for the library in the KDE framework that allows to manipulate the files. So I could see that the KDE applications use the KIO library that already offers everything necessary for the different file manipulation operations.

I would like to know, if during the different file manipulations (creation, deletion, copy, ... etc) this library manually updates the timestamps.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
"manually"? are you sure you mean that ?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
kde-ted
Registered Member
well it's a bit of a language abuse, but basically what I mean is that in addition to the changes that had to be made by the Qt library, there are probably other timestamp updates by the KIO library itself.

I assume that KIO also uses Qt from behind, which itself makes system calls to perform these file operations.

I already know how Qt modifies timestamps, but when I perform the same operation from Dolphin I get slightly different results.

for example : the creation of a file named tmp.txt in a folder named parent/

creation of the file with Dolphin
parent/
MAC.
tmp.txt
MACB

creation of the file with Qt
parent/
M.C.
tmp.txt
MACB
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I think this should go to the Dolphin sub-forum, moving thread.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...