This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin File Manager has started to behave differently...

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kanjanamarasri
Registered Member
I am on Linux Mint 13 64-bit.
KInfo Centre:-
OS Version: Linux 3.11.6-031106-generic
KDE SC Version: 4.11.3

My Dolphin File Manager has started to behave differently and I can't find the cause of it.

I have various LibreOffice documents and Kate notes saved to USB drives. When inserting the USB drive a pop-up window "Available Devices" appears and I always used to open the volume with (Dolphin) File Mananager.

Now, out of the blue, I get an error note: "Sorry-Kate - The file 'file:///media/kanjana/BACKUP2' could not be opened: it is not a normal file, it is a folder." :o

But I can access the docs in the flash-drive using the Dolphin File Manager icon located in the task-bar.

I tried configuring Kate and Dolphin to various other setting but without luck :(

I am not a techie... :< Would appreciate some help here; TIA.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Please open System Settings > Default Applications, and ensure "Dolphin" is selected under File Manager.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
kanjanamarasri
Registered Member
Many thanks for prompt response ^-^
You hit the nail right on his head! For some reason the default application had changed to Kate which I changed back to Dolphin.
KDE is such a nice looking desktop environment!
Thanks again, I am very happy again :*
rcameron
Registered Member
OS
The answer posted here has solved my problem also.

I am curious as to how and why 'Kate' and 'Audacious' would ever appear in a list of defaults -- to be used as a File Manager?

I am tempted to 'clean up' by deleting them as impossible choices, but can anyone think of a reason why they might ever be needed, as 'alternative options' for the *.srt file extension?

Possible clue: in the recent past, I set a .srt (SubRip subtitle) file to open in Kate. I wonder, in KDE, why should opening this, a text file, change the default setting for the File Manager to open a pen drive? It seems I have .srt as a 'filename pattern' for filetype Inode/directory in System Settings -> File Extensions.

Does this suggest anything? Perhaps a defective installation of subtitle composer put that extension where it doesn't belong?

System information:
Linux Mint 17.3 | KDE Platform Version 4.14.2, and
Linux Mint 18.0 | KDE Platform Version 5.28.0