This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to use Dolphin as root? Superuser?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
philipca
Registered Member
I want to customize my Lightdm background on my Arch system and i need to put my png picture into the pixmaps file, but for this i need to be as root.
I installed the root actions servicemenu, but still Dolphin asks me to enter a ""superuser"" password, i enter my administrator password and it does'nt work, why?
ianp5a
Registered Member
It seems they have disabled Root in KDE Applications and Dolphin since 17.04.
I cannot even get the service actions to install anymore.
I don't know how we are supposed to do things that require root access. A showstopper surely?
Or maybe there is a way to start Dolphin as root. But I don't know how to do that.

Other distros such as Ubuntu Mate, Mint and Ubuntu Budgie do not have this problem. And either have a Open as root option already installed. Or have it as an easy plugin. Installing Nemo file manager is a workaround it seems.

I'd actually rather not have to mess with root ever. But people online frequently suggest using it for a variety of tasks.

I searched for a bug. But this problem didnt appear to have been reported. I'll search again and report it if I think it's not already been done.

EDIT: I've found other forum posts on this
viewtopic.php?f=224&t=160053&p=415013&hilit=open+as+root#p415013
viewtopic.php?f=224&t=153655
viewtopic.php?f=224&t=141836
OK: It looks like editing text files is covered at time of save.
With a pop up asking for root password in certain editors.
NOK: But I cant find out how to copy files into some folders.
TheBeheader
Registered Member
actually it's the dolphin developers that that through infinite stupidity decided disabled root, but good news after being verbally bludgeoned half to death from the vast majority of dolphin users supposedly the are restoring root to dolphin. in the meantime. here:

Code: Select all
pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin

rightclick in the folder you want a rooted dolphin shortcut in, from the create new menu select link to new application, i named mine Rooted Dolphin, now go to the application tab and paste the above command in the command box and click ok. you are good to go.

Last edited by TheBeheader on Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kubuntu 19.10 Kernel 5.3.24, KDE Plasma 5.17.3
nVidia 44.31 Driver, Asus 970 Gaming/Aura, AMD FX 6300, 16Gig DDR3,
Samsung 120Gig 850 EVO, AOC 29" Ultra Wide 2560x1080, nVidia 750Ti,
USB 3 Card, Drives 2TB, 1.5TB, 1TB
ianp5a
Registered Member
TheBeheader wrote:actually it's the dolphin developers that disabled root, but good news after bludgeoned have to death from the vast majority of dolphin users supposedly the are restoring root to dolphin. in the meantime. here:

Code: Select all
pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin

rightclick in the folder you want a rooted dolphin shortcut in, from the create new menu select link to new application, i named mine Rooted Dolphin, now go to the application tab and paste the above command in the command box and click ok. you are good to go.

Great thanks. I can't wait. This hack is beyond me.
I'm not sure how we were expected to manage otherwise.
TheBeheader
Registered Member
now besides this hack we are suppose to have a dolphin update that will restore being able to root it. i'm hoping it will be in tomorrows plasma 5.16 update along with the revamped notification center. if ANYONE has a link to one of the articles on getting root back PLEASE link it here. i can't find the one i had. thanks

TheBeheader
Registered Member
any update yet when we can expect to get root restored to dolphin as promised? side not played with pclinuxos and dolphin there still has root. before someone decides to claim that's because it's outdated it's not. has plasma desktop 5.16.2, framework 5.59.0, kernel 5.1.10.

TheBeheader
Registered Member

terryforsythe
Registered Member
This thread is a little old, but I came across it while looking for a solution. I found the solution, so I thought I would post it here to help anyone who lands here.

There is a plugin that works. Here is how to install it:

1. In Dolphin, select the hamburger (3 bars) icon on the far right of top menu bar.
2. Select "Configure"
3. Select "Configure Dolphin"
4. Select "Context Menu"
5. Select "Download New Services..." button
6. Search for "Open Dolphin as root", then select it to install.

That worked for me in KDE Neon. To use it in KDE Neon, right click on the file you want to open as root, and select "Open as Root".

In Arch it did not work right away - it needed a little modification. To get it to work in Arch, after installing the plugin:

7. Open ~/.local/share/kservices5/ServiceMenus, then open the file "open_as_root.desktop" with a text editor.
8. Add "dbus-launch" before "dolphin %U; fi;" at the end of the Exec statement.

To use it in Arch, right click on the file you want to open as root, select "Actions", then select "Open as Root".

With other distributions your mileage may vary. First try steps 1-6. If it does not work, then do steps 7-8.
dzon
Registered Member
There are a couple of those "open as root" service menus. You could use that...what's the name again...the one that MX uses. It has an entire list of root actions.
Anyway, if the exec is like: Exec=if [ "$XDG_SESSION_TYPE" = "wayland" ]; then xhost +si:localuser:root && pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dbus-launch dolphin %U && xhost -si:localuser:root ; else pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin %U; fi;
no editing should be required. And, btw, the entry ought to be used anywhere ( directory) since it shouldn't have a mime type setting. I suggest you try out a few and see what fits you best.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
matari
Registered Member
thanks so much sir! πŸ™‡β€β™‚οΈπŸŽ©
I'm using KDE Plasma on Kubuntu 20.04 and instructions 1 to 6 was enough for it to work for me πŸŽ‰
BEEDELLROKEJULIANLOCKHART
Registered Member
OS