This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to decrease the size of tooltips

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
agentx
Registered Member
I'm attempting to help a member of the EndeavourOS forums and am also interested in their request. the member wanted to know if there is any way of decreasing the size of tooltips in Plasma 5? Thanks

https://forum.endeavouros.com/t/minor-q ... owser/9135
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You have two choices, either use the tooltips, or use the Information panel accessible via F11. The problem is not the size of the tooltip which is dynamic, the problem is the amount of information displayed. If you enable previews this will make the tooltip considerably bigger, if you check all possible information choices, this will fill the tooltip as well.

All this is in the Dolphin settings and in the View menu. BTW, moving this to Dolphin, this is not a Plasma "issue", this is Dolphin specific

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agentx
Registered Member
OK for me I'll have a closer look at my settings cause I don't need the preview on tooltips. Thanks

Last edited by agentx on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agentx
Registered Member
I just unchecked video under view under general and the only thing it did was remove my thumbnails and not the previews on the tooltips.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You are right, the tooltip still shows the preview even after disabling it, that's odd and I am not sure this is really intended behavior. I suggest filing a bug. My rationale is that showing a preview in the tooltip when the previews are disabled is a potential security issue.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
agentx
Registered Member
I don't know about it being a security issue. What I do know is that the tooltips should be independent of the thumbnails, and the amount of info shown in the tooltips should be as customizable as the info for previews is.
agentx
Registered Member