This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Dolphin: search file content is not working

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

i use Kubuntu 20.04 and KDE plasma 5.18.5 / KDE Framework 5.68 and when i try to search a file based on its content, dolphin returns me nothing, as you can see below:

Therefore i install KFind plugin from dolphin and it works as expected:

thus, i would like to understand the situation:

1. By default (without KFind plugin) is Dolphin able to search a file based on its content ?
2. Is there a better way in dolphin to find file based on its content than to install KFind in dolphin ? A more natural way I mean...(not in command line)

thx.

Kubuntu 22.04 / kernel 5.15.x
KDE 5.24.5 / KDE framework: 5.95 / Qt version: 5.15.3
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Hi!

What about your baloo-configuration? Context indexing is disabled by default in Kubuntu.
Code: Select all
balooctl status
balooctl config ls contentIndexing

Folders outside of your homedirectory are not indexed too if not explicit enabled.
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
koffeinfriedhof wrote:Hi!

What about your baloo-configuration? Context indexing is disabled by default in Kubuntu.
balooctl status
balooctl config ls contentIndexing

Folders outside of your homedirectory are not indexed too if not explicit enabled.

Balooctl status returns:
Baloo File Indexer is running
Indexer state: Idle
Total files indexed: 176 448
Files waiting for content indexing: 0
Files failed to index: 0
Current size of index is 126,18 MiB

koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
Did you read the rest too?
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
I just want to search inside the /home directory so it's ok for me that outside of /home there is no indexed files.

By the way: balooctl config ls contentIndexing return nothing and i did not find the config file as it should be in ~/.kde5/config but there is nothing like that

koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
alainroger wrote:balooctl config ls contentIndexing return nothing

Then try to enable it with `balooctl config set contentIndexing true`.
…i did not find the config file as it should be in ~/.kde5/config but there is nothing like that

The default path is $HOME/.config/[i] for configurations and [i]~/.local/share/ for data if not overwritten by custom xdg-paths.
alainroger
Registered Member
OS
typing : balooctl config set contentIndexing true did not change anything as balooctl status returns me always the same results...so no file content to index

the config file is in ~/.config/baloofilerc

here is the content file
[General]
dbVersion=2
exclude filters=*~,*.part,*.o,*.la,*.lo,*.loT,*.moc,moc_*.cpp,qrc_*.cpp,ui_*.h,cmake_install.cmake,CMakeCache.txt,CTestTestfile.cmake,libtool,config.status,confdefs.h,autom4te,conftest,confstat,Makefile.am,*.gcode,*.csproj,*.m4,*.rej,*.gmo,*.pc,*.omf,*.aux,*.tmp,*.po,*.vm*,*.nvram,*.rcore,*.swap,lzo,litmain.sh,*.orig,.histfile.*,.xsession-errors*,*.map,*.so,*.a,*.db,*.qrc,*.ini,*.init,*.img,*.vdi,*.vbox*,vbox.log,*.qcow2,*.vmdk,*.vhd,*.vhdx,*.sql,*.sql.gz,*.class,*.pyc,*.pyo,*.elc,*.qmlc,*.jsc,*.fastq,*.fq,*.gb,*.fasta,*.fna,*.gbff,*.faa,po,CVS,.svn,.git,_darcs,.bzr,.hg,CMakeFiles,CMakeTmp,CMakeTmpQmake,.moc,.obj,.pch,.uic,.npm,.yarn,.yarn-cache,__pycache__,node_modules,node_packages,nbproject,core-dumps,lost+found
exclude filters version=5
exclude folders[$e]=/snap/freeplane-mindmapping/19/,/snap/core18/1932/,/snap/phpstorm/185/,/snap/freeplane-mindmapping/18/,/snap/core/10126/,/snap/pycharm-community/214/,/snap/core/10185/,/snap/phpstorm/179/,/snap/viber-unofficial/37/,/snap/core18/1885/,/snap/pycharm-community/211/,/mnt
first run=false
folders[$e]=$HOME/
only basic indexing=false

koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS
You can check it using
balooctl index ~/mytestfile.with.content
and baloosearch for content.
If you want to reindex all files, use disable, purge and enable to delete the index-database.