This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

When can I see thumbnail of HEIC file in my KDE environment?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Stanley TT
Registered Member
My environment is follwoing:

Ubuntu Studio 21.04
KDE Plasma: 5.22.4
KDE Frameworks: 5.85.0
QT: 5.15.2
Core Kernel: 5.11.0-31-lowlatency (64bit)
Graphic Platform: X11

I still can not see the HEIC picture thumbnail in my environment, how can we resolve this issue?

Thanks
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I don't know if currently any other platform than Apple is supporting the format.

FWIW: you posted this in the wrong sub-forum, I will move this to Graphics & Multimefdia where it belongs

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
butor
Registered Member
Hi
Yes another platform support heif, linux, android, Gnome, but KDE and Dolphin don't create thumbnail.
Do you have a solution, except using Gnome !
I use Nautilus from Gnome and now I can see hei[fc] file thumbnail, thanks Gnome sorry Dolphin.
schworak
Registered Member
I am also seeing this issue. I am running KDE 5.24 with framework 5.92. When I go to a terminal window, linux clearly knows this is an image/heif file but dolphin doesn't recognize it.

And the file open dialog doesn't seem to know it is an image either even though the website I am trying to upload to has a filter of image/* so I have to manually type in the file name to get it to upload.

GIMP knows how to open heic files. Convert (comand line in linux) knows how to process them. So why doesn't KDE know yet? This file format has been around since 2001. So 21 years ago...