This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to hide Dolphin search bar?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS

How to hide Dolphin search bar?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:48 am
I've configured my toolbars to remove the Dolphin search bar but for some strange reason it comes back chopped in half--yes, chopped in half! The chopped-in-half bar still works but it shouldn't be showing at all. Moreover I can't seem to properly add the search bar back. When I configure toolbars and add "Search bar" or "Show search bar" it just displays useless buttons displaying those expressions (i.e. "Search bar" and "Show search bar").

I'd like to completely remove the bar for good and then be able to add it back properly when I'd like. Any way to do this?

I'm running Kubuntu 10.04, KDE 4.4.4.
google01103
Manager

Re: How to hide Dolphin search bar?

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 pm
possibly you have a corrupted rc file, try closing dolphin then renaming the rc file and apps dir
~/.kde4/share/config/dolphinrc
~/.kde4/share/apps/dolphin

or see if the problem exists for a dif user, then do above

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:40 pm
Well, renaming the configuration files worked until I removed the search bar and restarted dolphin. This time I suppose I'll just rename them and leave the search bar there, since a full one looks better than a chopped-in-half one.
google01103
Manager

Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:50 pm
what about editing the search toolbar to not have the search bar included? assuming you'll never use it

molecule-eye
Registered Member
OS

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:28 pm
Well that's an option, but sometimes I want to use it, hence enable it, and sometimes I don't. Nepomuk & strigi are buggy on my system. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. So sometimes I use the search bar and other times I don't.

Is this a Kubuntu-related issue? I'm getting the feeling with each Kubuntu release that I ought to switch distros.
google01103
Manager

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:17 pm
I don't have any issues with the search bar, don't use it, but it does display fine when I toggle it.

don't know if it's a Kubuntu issue, don't use it

fyi - I use recoll for indexing, it's got a kde4 client and a kio and works fine, here's 2 comparisons of Linux desktop indexeing programs:
http://www.linux.com/news/software/appl ... s-compared
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ?artc_pg=1

ps - you're always welcome in openSuse, or Mandriva or pclinuxos or whatever distro you might choose