This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I'm not sure which forum

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Scott
Registered Member

I'm not sure which forum

Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:32 am
So I guess I'll have to put it here. It says "opinions"... I'm not trying to criticize.

My opinion is this: The layout of the left pane in Kde 4 is painfully difficult. It's very inconvenient for me to have to switch back and forth between views. For example if I want to work in the "Folder" view with a tree and need get to a cdrom or other item then I have to switch to the "Places" view. I think it would be much easier if it employed a system much like what I see in xfce here in openSUSE 11.4 where you have something similar those "places" displayed but each item is expandable in a tree like structure. That way I could see all of the folders in my home folder and navigate between them using the tree and still simply scroll down to get to hard drives, cdroms etc...whatever. I have it set up with tabs which helps, but personally would just prefer a tree.
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: I'm not sure which forum

Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:59 pm
By "Kde 4" I assume you mean the application "dolphin" (kde 4's file manager), since that seems to fit the context of the rest of your opinion.

You are certainly welcome to submit a request for such a feature (allow tree-style navigation in the Places panel) in the Brainstorm forum to gather opinions and votes from other people.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
google01103
Manager

Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:49 pm
there various request both in the Brainstorm sub-forum and on Bugzilla, example https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=161028

you can concurrently display both views if desired Image

3rdly you can populate places with your ~/home folders, which is how I do it (normally I do not have the folders view enabled as in the above image)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Scott
Registered Member

Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:34 pm
Yeahh.. I meant Dolphin, your right.

Ooooh a place specifically to ask for stuff huh? Cool.

Thanks for the replies.