This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

dolphin with oxygen in xubuntu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yacwroy
Registered Member

dolphin with oxygen in xubuntu

Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:16 pm
Hi

I've recently switched to Xubuntu (11.10) from Ubuntu (due to Unity/Shell).
However, Dolphin has always been my prefered file manager (I even build it with my own code tweaks).

I like deeply nested folder structures. What I'm after is the lines that connect folders at the same level, with plusses instead of arrows.
Like this: http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-04 ... e-view.png

I know I figured out how to do this ages ago with Gnome, but I can't find how I did it.

IIRC, the oxygen theme has the ability to draw these lines and plusses.
I have oxygen-gtk theme selected (gtk2-engines-oxygen) and selected (via gtk-chtheme). Dolphin is being displayed in this theme.

My dolphin is 1.7 (KDE 4.7.4) - just the package version, not a custom build yet.
My Xubuntu is 11.10 x64.

Thanks,
Simon
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: dolphin with oxygen in xubuntu

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm
You mean something like this correct? http://i.imgur.com/8Z5JP.png

If so, open an application called "oxygen-settings", then select the "Views" tab. The option should be there.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
google01103
Manager

Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:43 pm

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

yacwroy
Registered Member

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 pm
Thanks bcooksley.

Unfortunately, it seems to get oxygen-setting requires kde-workspace-bin, which requires... which requires Akonadi.

I guess I'll have to try it, and hope KDE doesn't screw with my firefox fonts like last time.

BTW: What is up with DE and distro maintainers these days making everything "depend" on stuff that it shouldn't require, and that many of us really want to remove but can't.

EG: Nepomuk, Strigi, Akonadi, Zeitgeist.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:10 pm
The kde-workspace-bin package likely depends on kdepimlibs - which uses Akonadi for some parts of it's functionality. The KDE Workspace uses the non-Akonadi components for the most part of kdepimlibs.

KDE Sysadmin
yacwroy
Registered Member
I'll have to apologize for some misinformation, sorry.

I wasn't actually running oxygen.
I installed GTK-ChTheme (theme selector app) and selected oxygen-gtk, and my apps changed to a different theme that looks a bit like oxygen - but it turns out it wasn't oxygen after all. I actually have no idea what ChTheme was actually doing.

Anyway, I installed kde-workspace-bin and now I can use oxygen - and it does have those fancy file hierarchy lines.

I still think there's something incorrect in the package hierarchy if oxygen-settings requires a package that brings in so many unnecessary secondary packages. Perhaps Akonadi wasn't the best example - oxygen-settings requires kde-wallpapers-default might be more obviously bizarre.

Perhaps oxygen-settings needs its own package?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 pm
It is probably conservative packaging on the distributions part - because Oxygen Settings is shipped by KDE as part of KDE Workspace (alongside many other applications).

KDE Sysadmin