This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

'kbuildsycoca4 --global' fails on KDE 4.5.5

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gullible Jones
Registered Member
OS
On KDE 4.5.5, 'kbuildsycoca --global' fails with this output:

Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4: ERROR creating database ''! Unable to open temporary file.
QFile::remove: Empty or null file name

It also fails as root:

Code: Select all
kbuildsycoca4 running...
kbuildsycoca4(5259) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in ".hidden/kommander.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(5259) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in "/usr/share/applications/mozilla-firefox.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
kbuildsycoca4(5259)/kdecore (services) KServicePrivate::init: The desktop entry file  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/koffice.desktop"  has Type= "Application"  but no Exec line

kbuildsycoca4(5259) KBuildServiceFactory::createEntry: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/kde4/koffice.desktop"
kbuildsycoca4: ERROR writing database '/root'!
kbuildsycoca4: Disk full?

And the partition is most definitely not full. Does anyone know what causes this? Does it also happen on later versions of KDE? And how, if at all, can I make kbuildsycoca4 work properly?

BTW, I also notice that the KDESYCOCA environment variable is null. Should it be?
google01103
Manager
does /var/tmp/kdecache-user_account exist? are you the owner?

is the /var partition on a local drive of NFS? Google'ing showed a stale file handle as a possible cause

on my system KDESYCOCA is null

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Gullible Jones
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:does /var/tmp/kdecache-user_account exist? are you the owner?

Yes and yes.

[quote
is the /var partition on a local drive of NFS? Google'ing showed a stale file handle as a possible cause[/quote]

/var is on a local drive.

on my system KDESYCOCA is null

Good to know that, at least.
google01103
Manager
I usually use option " --noincremental", why are you using "--global?

Gullible Jones
Registered Member
OS
Because I was wondering if some problem with the ksycoca4 cache was responsible for KDE's awfulslow start times...

(Probably not, but it was worth investigating. And hey, I did find a bug didn't I? :) )
google01103
Manager
you should report it