This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Safely disabling battery recall notification

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chriswilliamson
Registered Member
OS
I'm a longtime Ubuntu user. A few weeks ago I installed the KDE Plasma workspace, and I've been using KDE exclusively for about two weeks. Every time I log in, I get a pop-up notification about a Toshiba battery recall. I've checked, double-checked, multi-multi-checked, and am confident this recall does not apply to my battery. In fact I remember getting a similar notification a long time ago, in the regular Ubuntu GNOME environment, but I don't remember having any trouble figuring out how to tell the system, "got it, thanks, you can stop now", as I'm having now.

As I understand it, the recall information is coming from something called UPower, whose documentation is careful to state that the recall flag "does not imply the device is faulty, only that it approximatly matches the description from the vendor of units that were recalled." And indeed the pop-up notification, which I logged to a text file via the Manage Notifications interface in system settings, is also careful on this point:

- KNotify Fri Jul 27 20:36:40 2012: Your battery might have been recalled by Toshiba. Usually, when vendors recall the hardware, it is because of factory defects which are usually eligible for a free repair or substitution. Please check <a href='http://bxinfo.toshiba.com/'>Toshiba&apos;s website</a> to verify if your battery is faulted.

I see how to disable broken battery notifications in the Manage Notifications window. That doesn't seem terribly safe, but then neither is getting in a car or crossing a busy street. So if disabling broken battery notifications is the best I can do, I'll do it.

Is anyone familiar enough with how KDE handles these battery recall notifications from UPower (yes, I've seen /lib/udev/rules.d/95-upower-battery-recall-toshiba.rules too) to tell me if having the user (me) disable all broken battery notifications is the best I'm going to be able to do here? Is there some "right" way to do this that I just haven't found yet? Or does it sound like I need to file a bug report? I see files in /lib/udev/rules.d/ for other manufacturers. How does KDE decide when to stop pestering everyone else about these?

I'm still having various other crashes and unwanted behavior. Every one of these unresolved issues complicates resolution of all the others by giving the developers another possible culprit to point at. I need to get these knocked out as best I can, one at a time, in the order they happen starting at login, and get my system running smoothly again.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
If you open System Settings > Notifications > Manage Notifications. Applications tab, select "Notifications for KDE Power Management system" from the event source drop down.

Then you can uncheck "Show a message in a popup", for the notification "Broken battery notification".

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
chriswilliamson
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, yes, I disabled the broken battery notification soon after I posted. But now I'm without that notification if it really does break. I'm not too worried about it. It just seemed like there ought to be a safer, more targeted way to acknowledge one specific "possible recall" notification, since I seem to have done it in GNOME, though it's been so long I don't remember the details.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
You may wish to file a feature request at bugs.kde.org for the option to suppress this notification of recall.

KDE Sysadmin
Dimitrios
Registered Member
OS
Is nt related with these :

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=98135
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44370

I did nt have any solution until now

«The magic continues...»
http://www.mageia.org
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
It is related, however a user may still wish to suppress this notification on their system after they have investigated the issue.

KDE Sysadmin