This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

filechooser slow: cd spinup?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
philiplee
Registered Member

filechooser slow: cd spinup?

Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:39 pm
Every time I bring the file chooser up from an application, it takes several seconds to actually appear, and I suspect this is due to having to spin up the cd drive, because the dialog only appears after the cd is at full speed.

Is there any way to disable this behavior so that the dialog appears immediately?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: filechooser slow: cd spinup?

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:25 am
Which version of KDE are you using?
Earlier versions of KDE always attempted to show the free space available on all devices, which would explain this.
I believe current versions do not engage in this behaviour (unless you hover over the device in question).

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
philiplee
Registered Member

Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:49 pm
bcooksley wrote:Which version of KDE are you using?
Earlier versions of KDE always attempted to show the free space available on all devices, which would explain this.
I believe current versions do not engage in this behaviour (unless you hover over the device in question).

4.8.4. I have also found that if the CD is mounted, then the issue does not occur. Currently, I have the CD drive on auto-mount.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:32 am
I'm not sure why mounting the CD speeds up the process, however you may wish to try checking the output of solid-hardware, and see if that command causes your CD drive to spin up.

The commands to look at in particular are:
Code: Select all
solid-hardware list

solid-hardware details <udi from previous list>

On my system I run the following to get information concerning my optical drive:
solid-hardware details /org/freedesktop/UDisks/devices/sr0

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]