This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

per-program file associations

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
equaeghe
Registered Member
OS

per-program file associations

Wed May 11, 2016 12:12 pm
Is it possible to manage file associations on a per-program basis?

The reason is that for some reason Kile and Okular are in my setup the first two options for most text-file types, with Kate (my preferred option) coming third. Having to change all this on a file-type-by-file-type basis would be quite inconvenient.

It is ok that the solution involves editing some config files manually.
google01103
Manager

Re: per-program file associations

Wed May 11, 2016 4:39 pm
I would look at file=~/.config/mimeapps.list and folder=~/.local/share/mime/text/, to reset to defaults maybe rename the folder and remove the "text/" lines in the file (just guessing)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

equaeghe
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 11, 2016 8:36 pm
google01103 wrote:I would look at file=~/.config/mimeapps.list and folder=~/.local/share/mime/text/, to reset to defaults maybe rename the folder and remove the "text/" lines in the file (just guessing)

Thanks for the pointers. The former file exists, but only contains an entry for mail/kmail. The latter directory does not exist.
google01103
Manager

Wed May 11, 2016 9:01 pm
KDE 4 or 5?

does ~/.local/share/mime/ exist ?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

equaeghe
Registered Member
OS

Wed May 18, 2016 7:27 am
google01103 wrote:KDE 4 or 5?

does ~/.local/share/mime/ exist ?

5, no
equaeghe
Registered Member
OS
Updating remaining KDE 4 applications to their KF 5 counterparts made the problem go away and this question redundant.
nu111
Registered Member

Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:16 pm
This thread is from 2016... a long time ago! :)

I was asking myself the same question, is there a way to check file/mime associations on a per application base?

Skype snap has somehow messed all file/mime associations, so I would like to have an overview on which file associations are pointing to Skype.
dzon
Registered Member

Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:59 pm
If you open the specific desktop application with a text editor, the mimelist will be there in some cases. Other than that, I guess opening the mimeapps.list in a text editor and do a search for the particular application...

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.