This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

adding a java application to kde menu

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Gerry
Registered Member
OS
I have successfully added a java application to the menu. It appears on a sublist and I have an icon on my desktop

I can successfully launch the application from Konsole but it just dies quietly both from the menu and the icon.

Please may I ask for help?
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
To try and debug the startup of your app, try setting the shortcut to run it with a terminal:
Right-click on the icon on the desktop and open Icon Settings. In the Application tab, open Advanced Options and enable both Run in Terminal and Do not close when command exits.
Then try running the app again. Konsole should pop up and show any (stdout/stderr) messages printed when trying to start your app.

You can also use the aforementioned Application tab to double-check how your app is invoked.

Something to double-check is that the paths in the app shortcut are set up correctly. E.g. if the java app is saved under ~/javaApp/app.jar and you invoke it from the terminal when in that directory using "java -jar app.jar" then either make sure the command uses the full path to the jar like "java -jar ~/javaApp/app.jar" or that the Work(ing) path is set and the path in the command is set relative to that, e.g. with Work path of "~/javaApp" and command: "java -jar app.jar"

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Gerry
Registered Member
OS
airdrik wrote:open Advanced Options and enable both Run in Terminal and Do not close when command exits.
Then try running the app again. Konsole should pop up and show any (stdout/stderr) messages printed when trying to start your app.

Thank you for replying

From my home directory in Konsole (just typing in at the command line)

:~> java -jar folder/app.jar

runs perfectly

In the KDE app with the settings you suggest

java -jar folder/app.jar

output reads: Error: Unable to access jarfile folder/app.jar

java -jar /folder/app.jar

output reads: Error: Unable to access jarfile /folder/app.jar

java -jar me/folder/app.jar

output reads: Error: Unable to access jarfile me/folder/app.jar

java -jar ~/folder/app.jar

output reads: Error: Unable to access jarfile /home/me/folder/app.jar

Something to double-check is that the paths in the app shortcut are set up correctly. E.g. if the java app is saved under ~/javaApp/app.jar and you invoke it from the terminal when in that directory using "java -jar app.jar" then either make sure the command uses the full path to the jar like "java -jar ~/javaApp/app.jar" or that the Work(ing) path is set and the path in the command is set relative to that, e.g. with Work path of "~/javaApp" and command: "java -jar app.jar"

setting the workpath to

/home/me/folder

and the command to

java -jar app.jar

returns

Error: Unable to access jarfile app.jar

I clearly must be doing something wrong but I cannot work it out