This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

vscode and keyring

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
bhsubhuti
Registered Member

vscode and keyring

Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:26 am
I have a problem with the new release of vscode. It keeps asking me for a password. None of the other apps do this.
KDE is supposedly a problem with this. How to fix?
I tried resetting my wallet, it did not work.
I don't understand this wallet thing.
instructions for installing seahorse did not work.
Kunbuntu 20.04
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: vscode and keyring

Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:38 pm
Is vscode asking for a password or is it KWallet?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
bhsubhuti
Registered Member

Re: vscode and keyring

Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:03 am
I appreciate your response.
Issue with 20.04 kubuntu

I want to verify that this is fixed and working before going back to Kubuntu 22.04
Code: Select all
Please install vscode
Push  2 commits to github using vscode.

It was vscode has github integration which required the use with the kering. It works fine on Gnome or pure Ubuntu (which I was forced to switch).
For me.. I usually set my keyring to have zero password and I don't notice anything. I set it up and then forgot what I did which is the way it should be.

What I remember:
I think github used to have a manual type-the-password-system each time a commit or push was done with vscode. I was fine typing in my password on the seldom commits I had., but then I think that github changed things and they needed tokens instead and we were forced to use the keyring. There was no way out of this keyring but to change to gnome.
It was this that ruined things for kde +vscode + github

I complained somewhere on github for kde or vscode.. and they said it was fixed.
Here is the issue I filed.
https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/104319
Previously it was labeled as "wont fix" but KDE is awesome and did something.
I want to verify that before I return to KDE from Ubuntu Gnome. I live in Myanmar and rebuilding a system is not as easy if you have to pay for internet by the MB.

March 3rd.. a user said..
provide feedback to KDE to finish their implementation of org.freedesktop.secrets
KDE's implementation is now complete, it's just waiting on testing/merging. Any testing (and associated feedback) would be appreciated.
Wonder if this would be of any help in the mean time: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kwallet-secrets
I believe this is the merge request I've linked above, just bundled into an AUR package. I can also confirm it works well for me +1
bhsubhuti
Registered Member

Re: vscode and keyring  Topic is solved

Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:04 am
I tried to see if it would work on a live USB without persistence .. It seems like it failed.. It was looking for keyring which does not exist in kde.
Looks like KDE does not support the worlds most popular free code editor.