This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Discover You have no authorization to execute this operation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
electrifyings
Registered Member
I have recently installed Kubuntu 20.10 and since yesterday I am getting following error whenever I am trying to remove or install something from Discover.

You have no authorization to execute this operation

Below is the output when I tried to execute it from the Konsole.

Code: Select all
    swapnil@Kubuntu:~$ lsb_release -r
  Release:        20.10
  swapnil@Kubuntu:~$ uname -a
  Linux Kubuntu 5.8.0-33-generic #36-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 9 09:14:40 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
  swapnil@Kubuntu:~$ plasma-discover
  qrc:/qml/Feedback.qml:2:1: module "org.kde.userfeedback" is not installed
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "Plasma/Theme"
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "Plasma/LookAndFeel"
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "KWin/Effect"
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "KWin/WindowSwitcher"
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using.

The package type, we assume, is "Plasma/Wallpaper"
  invalid kns backend! "/usr/share/knsrcfiles/servicemenu.knsrc" because: "Config group not found! Check your KNS3 installation."
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "Plasma/Comic"
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "Plasma/LookAndFeel"
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using. The package type, we assume, is "KWin/Script"
  invalid kns backend! "/usr/share/knsrcfiles/ksysguard.knsrc" because: "Config group not found!

Check your KNS3 installation."
  kf.newstuff.core: Your configuration file uses an old version of the kpackage support, and should be converted. Please report this to the author of the software you are currently using.

The package type, we assume, is "Plasma/Applet"
  adding empty sources model QStandardItemModel(0x5635b65df320)
  QObject::connect(AbstractReviewsBackend, ResourcesModel): invalid nullptr parameter
  org.kde.plasma.libdiscover: Couldn't find a category for  "fwupd-backend"
  file:///usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt5/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/private/globaltoolbar/PageRowGlobalToolBarUI.qml:49:9: QML PrivateActionToolButton: Binding loop detected for property "checkable"
  Fwupd Error:  Remote  vendor-directory has no cache signature!
  percentage cannot be calculated
  PackageKit error: PackageKit::Transaction::ErrorNotAuthorized "You have no authorization to execute this operation" "Failed to obtain authentication."

Can someone please help?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
looks like something is missing. You should run the following 3 commands in a konsole to make sure you are up-to-date and nothing is missing or badly configured:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
electrifyings
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:looks like something is missing. You should run the following 3 commands in a konsole to make sure you are up-to-date and nothing is missing or badly configured:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Thank you for your reply. I ran the above commands, there were no packages to upgrade and the third command didn't return anything. I am still getting the same error message -> "Failed to get authentication" after opening Discover and "You have no authorization to execute this operation" after clicking on install or remove.

Is there a way I can uninstall and install Plasma Discover again? Would that remove the older configuration and correct the things? If yes, what would be the safe way to uninstall and reinstall?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
How do you start Discover? From the menu? Make sure you do not try to start it as root, that wouldn't work

no need to remove it, you can force-reinstall it, that would get back eventual lost dependencies:

sudo apt reinstall plasma-discover

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
electrifyings
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:How do you start Discover? From the menu? Make sure you do not try to start it as root, that wouldn't work

no need to remove it, you can force-reinstall it, that would get back eventual lost dependencies:

sudo apt reinstall plasma-discover

I have tried to open it through the application launcher, desktop shortcut and install button on the KDE website application. In all the cases, I am getting this error message. I have tried to force-reinstall as per the method you have suggested and tried to actually remove and clean install it hoping some configurations file that's messing with this would be removed, but no avail. I am still getting the same error message.

Here are some of the relevant logs entries from Journald.

14/12/20 8:46 PM   PackageKit   uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-remove auth (only_trusted:1)
14/12/20 8:46 PM   PackageKit   uid 1000 failed to obtain auth
14/12/20 8:47 PM   snapd   daemon.go:589: gracefully waiting for running hooks
14/12/20 8:47 PM   snapd   daemon.go:591: done waiting for running hooks
14/12/20 8:48 PM   snapd   daemon stop requested to wait for socket activation
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   app-org.kde.discover-ca624c06186a40308f866b218ae9d17e.scope: Succeeded.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   snapd.service: Succeeded.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   Started app-org.kde.discover-7c514b9c15ed4a188e59668f40f2ae4a.scope.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   Starting Snap Daemon...
14/12/20 8:48 PM   snapd   AppArmor status: apparmor is enabled and all features are available
14/12/20 8:48 PM   snapd   daemon.go:347: started snapd/2.48+20.10 (series 16; classic) ubuntu/20.10 (amd64) linux/5.8.0-33-generic.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   tmp-sanity\x2dmountpoint\x2d555482299.mount: Succeeded.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   tmp-sanity\x2dmountpoint\x2d555482299.mount: Succeeded.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   snapd   daemon.go:440: adjusting startup timeout by 30s (pessimistic estimate of 30s plus 5s per snap)
14/12/20 8:48 PM   systemd   Started Snap Daemon.
14/12/20 8:48 PM   fwupd   15:18:34:0381 FuEngine             ebitdo failed to change udev device /sys/devices/virtual/block/loop0: cannot ensure ID: FuUdevDevice:
14/12/20 8:48 PM   fwupd   Unknown Device
14/12/20 8:48 PM   fwupd     Flags:                none
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-updates transaction /709_dcedabbc from uid 1000 finished with success after 490ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   resolve transaction /710_dcdadbcc from uid 1000 finished with success after 541ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   resolve transaction /711_baaddcec from uid 1000 finished with success after 541ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-details transaction /712_adbdebeb from uid 1000 finished with success after 338ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-details transaction /713_aebcbedb from uid 1000 finished with success after 351ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-details transaction /714_ebacdbca from uid 1000 finished with success after 349ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-details transaction /715_cbdabada from uid 1000 finished with success after 334ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   new remove-packages transaction /716_dddbcabb scheduled from uid 1000
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   in /716_dddbcabb for remove-packages package clementine;1.4.0~rc1+git174-gcb64d9705+dfsg-2build2;amd64;installed:ubuntu-groovy-universe was removing for uid 1000
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   remove-packages transaction /716_dddbcabb from uid 1000 finished with success after 424ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.package-remove auth (only_trusted:1)
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   uid 1000 failed to obtain auth
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-details transaction /718_ddedbbba from uid 1000 finished with success after 330ms
14/12/20 8:48 PM   PackageKit   get-details transaction /719_ceebcaca from uid 1000 finished with success after 333ms
14/12/20 8:49 PM   PackageKit   resolve transaction /720_dadbccce from uid 1000 finished with success after 325ms
14/12/20 8:49 PM   PackageKit   uid 1000 is trying to obtain org.freedesktop.packagekit.system-sources-refresh auth (only_trusted:0)
14/12/20 8:49 PM   PackageKit   uid 1000 failed to obtain auth
14/12/20 8:49 PM   PackageKit   get-updates transaction /722_ccbacaaa from uid 1000 finished with success after 455ms
electrifyings
Registered Member
I fixed it by running following command on Konsole.
killall chrome-remote-desktop-host

Later on, I completely removed the chrome-remote-desktop package from Synaptics. I think, below command should also work if trying to remove from Konsole.
sudo apt remove chrome-remote-desktop
myzamri
Registered Member
Thank you for the solution. I have bumped into similar problem with Discover and removing chrome-remote-desktop solved it.

So I can confirm that remote desktop feature of Chrome is the culprit. ;D
cipricuscprq
Registered Member
I have this problem in Fedora 34 KDE when trying to uninstall Kontact as chrome-remote-desktop is not even installed...
danjuarezg
Registered Member
OS
Nowdays still this error. I run the command kill, but still needing google remote desktop, so before i start discover i run "killall chrome-remote-desktop-host" and it works fine. Thanks.
bigupjeff
Registered Member
I can confirm this is still a bug. I installed Chrome Remote Desktop a few days ago, and this began occurring.

Running the suggested commands above to kill and remove this package solves the problem:

killall chrome-remote-desktop-host
apt remove chrome-remote-desktop

Also, FWIW, Chrome Remote Desktop is an unreliable VNC solution. Judging by the fact it was last updated on September 4, 2019, it's probably safe to assume it's abandoned. Look at TigerVNC (FOSS) or for an easy-to-setup solution AnyDesk (proprietary) is a great VNC solution and at the moment, is free for personal use.
brine
Registered Member

Can't login to my desktop

Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:25 pm
Hi
I installed ubunto 20.04 server and used the kde plasma interface. Have been using that for a while but i can't login now. after inserting my username and password and try to get in, i see a notice readin "failed to execute command". Please i am not very versed with the operating system, and this error is blowing my mind. Can someone help me out? Thanks
jimmyfoxer
Registered Member
brine wrote:Hi
I installed ubunto 20.04 server and used the kde plasma interface. Have been using that for a while but i can't login now. after inserting my username and password and try to get in, i see a notice readin "failed to execute command". Please i am not very versed with the operating system Mobilunity, and this error is blowing my mind. Can someone help me out? Thanks

Hello there, Im really sorry for bumping old thread, Im searching for similar information to fix my prob, can someone on forum help me?