This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

konqueror open terminal (f4) no longer opens terminal "here"

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
meskisbear
Registered Member
Hello.

My konqueror in Debian Buster opens a konsole terminal by clickling "open terminal" in the extras menu or by hitting F4. It opens the terminal in the same folder the active konqueror tab is pointing to. This is what the right click menu action "open terminal here" does when you use it on a file or folder.

Konqueror in the upcoming Bullseye release apperantely lost the "open here" assignment to the extras menu, it now opens a terminal in the user Home instead. I prefer the old method, but can't find it in the keyboard shortcut menu. I assume it's not there because it is only a right click menu action these days, and they don't have keyboard shortcuts?

How to get it back to F4?
gnowak
Registered Member
OS
Great question. I have the same issue. Only "shift + F4" works in Dolphin. In konquerer my shortcut "ctrl + alt + t" and "shift + f4" don't work.

Shortcut "ctrl + alt + t" used to work with following action:
Code: Select all
nice -n 19 konsole --workdir $PWD

It has not worked since Kubuntu 20.10 unfortunately, and I am still baffled over this. I love konqueror, and don't want to settle with Dolphin.

My work-around is mouse-right-click and hit keyboard "t".

If anyone has a hint it how to get it back, that would be great! :-D

/Plantsugar Ⓥegan youtube.

Vegan Consultancy Services , Linux backend servers, R-project, Logistics, Data Conversion, Drupal Websites and Upgrade to Drupal 9, Excel/VBA.
rrp
Registered Member
I found workaround.

1) Create application .desktop file (e.g. ~/.local/share/applications/xterm-dir.desktop):
Code: Select all
[Desktop Entry]
Name=xterm
GenericName=Open in xterm
Comment=Open directory in xterm
Icon=utilities-terminal
InitialPreference=8
MimeType=inode/directory;
Exec=cd %f; xterm
Type=Application

2) Restart konqueror - in open menu for directories should be option to open in xterm.
3) Open "Settings" → "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts" and find string used as "Name=" in .desktop file (xterm in example)
4) Set favorite shortcut for this action :)

Of course instead of xterm you can use other command in "Exec=", %f will be replaced by directory path.