This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to configure mouse double-click word selection delimiter

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
ids
Registered Member
Hi
In Kate in a Normal plain text file I often select text by using mouse double-click.
If there is a hyphen/dash '-' character in the word this is used as a delimiter/separator, and only the text before or after the '-' will be selected.
I would like to configure double-click to select all the text between two space characters.
How can I remove '-' from the characters that are considered delimeters?
Thx.
drgaegststsdfsdfgd
Registered Member
I have no idea, but i have the inverse problem: my version of Kate recognizes too few delimiters and doubleclicking on a string that contains delimiters usually selects the entire string, not just the text between the delimiters.

Some delimiters that Kate does respect: backslash (\), parentheses "()", double and single quotes, comma, semi-colon, equal sign (=),
Some delimiters that Kate does not respect: slash (/), dot (.), colon (:), dash (-), underscore (_), curly brackets ({}), brackets ([])

So my Kate behaves differently from yours (mine ignores dashes). I have no idea how to change this behaviour. I can't find any relevant setting in the menus and nothing in the documentation.

Kate 17.12.3 on Linux Mint 19.3 MATE
drgaegststsdfsdfgd
Registered Member
OK, after some more searching I figured out that it has to do with your settings for highlighting (Tools > Highlighting) and maybe also for mode (Tools > Mode). Seems you have to find a combination that provides an adequate amount of syntax highlighting while still respecting the text delimiters that you require.