This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Krusader: How to disable pop-up file info windows?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dzon
Registered Member
To my knowledge...you can't. You can set all you want in system settings, krusader will always show popups. They're hardcoded. It's not the only application either. I believe kaggregator and some have no settings for that. Whereas gnome does have dconf or gconf editor for system settings-ish stuff, they're correct that this is a krusader issue. Neither can you add a window rule because a tooltip rule doesn't exist. It was never adressed and probably never will be. It's what it is. You can do a lot of settings and custom stuff on krusader, this is not one of them.https://imgur.com/a/d4Puc89

PS: Haven't used gnome since the Titanic thing but I believe the window manager of gnome isn't gnome but mutter.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
You most definitely can disable krusader tooltips, I dunno why there is any running in circles.
it IS sort of hidden, and is not mentioned in the docs or help I see.

In Plasma 5.18, click the "?" on the toolbar, then click on the tooltip option to see this:

In later versions, just hover over the option to see the same message.

Set the tooltip to a negative number.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dzon
Registered Member
Well I'l be d.... Didn't realize there was a negative value. It is mentioned nowhere. Very strange way to disable a tooltip if you ask me. No wonder the internet is littered with this question. Ok, thanks C.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Bug reports against the documentation, as well as against the setting for not being clear would be useful. There is only this one which sort of needs a hand, or a new report altogether. Hint hint......

The option explanation DOES appear when you hover over the tootltip timer in more current Plasma versions, but really, who would think of that?
Well, I did, but I have a long lifetime of doing such things automatically. Simply adding some text to the timer settings might be OK, and probably a quick and simple fix. A checkbox or something might be better, if this truly is an in-demand thing, but would take more effort and work to arrange and fit things, I am sure.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dzon
Registered Member
True. Myself I'm not so much a krusader user, I kinda installed it once to see what was possible in regards to the Actionman user actions although I noticed that there wasn't a ...regular ;) setting for that tooltip. Well, now I know. But I figured, reading all the same questions throughout the years, it simply wasn't possible. I have to say, in my 17-ish years of linux I never encountered a negative value for a thing like that. But there you go, the linux world is like a box of chocolates I guess.

claydoh
Registered Member
OS
I have seen this used, though I cannot recall where.
I think a negative integer simply returns a null value for the math or logic, or whatever the correct programming terminology is, so the function doesn't run.

dzon
Registered Member
I found one ! Menu placement. When you want a submenu to overlap, the x-value is set to negative. The y-placement too can be set to a negative if you want a specific vertical alignment. Like in, for example, floating wm's, jwm, icewm,openbox, fluxbox... :D :D

kde-jlinkels
Registered Member
Settings -> Configure Krusader
Choose Panel in the left column
In Panel settings go to the View tab
Set the Tooltip delay (ms) to a negative value

If you right click on the label (Tooltip delay (ms)) you see a context menu "What's this?"
In the explanation it is specified that a negative value disables the tooltips completely.
But it is not obvious, I got it from the source code.