This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Krusader: How to disable pop-up file info windows?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
henr
Registered Member
Hi!
I love Krusader!
But I am getting annoyed that it constantly creates pop-up windows with details about the file the cursor is hovering over. It blocks my view of all the other files...
I have looked through all settings in the Menu: Settings -> Configure Krusader window without finding anything. Please help.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Try disabling the tooltips in the System Settings -> Workspace -> General Behavior

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
henr
Registered Member
Hi!
Thank you for your reply!
My top bar has a menu called 'Settings' which has an item called 'Configure Krusader', which opens a window. But I am not sure what 'System Settings -> Workspace -> General Behavior' is?
I use Krusader Version 2.7.2 "Peace of Mind".
Libraries:
KDE Frameworks 5.68.0
Qt 5.12.8 (built against 5.12.8)
The xcb windowing system
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The System Settings for Plasma. Of course if you are not using Plasma, you will have to check out the settings of your Window Manager/System

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
henr
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:The System Settings for Plasma. Of course if you are not using Plasma, you will have to check out the settings of your Window Manager/System

OK - so you are not talking about setting in Krusader. Then I don't know where to find those settings?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sorry, I only know how to do this in Plasma, if you are using Krusader on a different Window manager you maybe should ask in a forum specialized on that platform. The problem are the tooltips displayed by your system, it is not a a problem with Krusader itself

henr
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Sorry, I only know how to do this in Plasma, if you are using Krusader on a different Window manager you maybe should ask in a forum specialized on that platform. The problem are the tooltips displayed by your system, it is not a a problem with Krusader itself

Thank you! I am using Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS. But how do I discover which window manager Krusader is running in?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You should know which Window manager/Graphical platform you are running, as this is something you choose on login. GNOME should be the default one on Ubuntu, unless you installed and chose a different one.

henr
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:You should know which Window manager/Graphical platform you are running, as this is something you choose on login. GNOME should be the default one on Ubuntu, unless you installed and chose a different one.

OK... People on the GNOME discussion forum are pretty sure these 'tooltips' have nothing to do with GNOME, but with KDE... See https://discourse.gnome.org/t/how-do-i- ... der/7736/6 So they refer me back here.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
they sent you here because they think you talk about tooltips of Krusader, but it is the System tooltips you seem to have a problem with, and those are depending on the gtk theme you use. Tooltips on hover do not exist in Krusader AFAIK

henr
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:they sent you here because they think you talk about tooltips of Krusader, but it is the System tooltips you seem to have a problem with, and those are depending on the gtk theme you use. Tooltips on hover do not exist in Krusader AFAIK

So if I understand you correctly: The pop up is created by the 'GTK theme' and that is something outside of KDE?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Since Krusader doesn't do any "pop-ups" by itself, it must come from the underlying system, yes. Tooltips on hover are a system feature, not one of a single application and can only be enabled/disabled in the system.

henr
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:Since Krusader doesn't do any "pop-ups" by itself, it must come from the underlying system, yes. Tooltips on hover are a system feature, not one of a single application and can only be enabled/disabled in the system.

The GNOME people insist that these pop up windows have nothing to do with GNOME... So where are they generated?:

"The GTK theme only determines the appearance of elements, it cannot add elements on its own[0].

GNOME also does not have “system tooltips”. Those appear to be either a KDE or QT feature, and you’ll have to find the KDE-specific way of disabling them as they are not exposed in GNOME settings (unsurprisingly, given that GNOME itself doesn’t have any notion of “system tooltips”).

In general, the desktop has no knowledge of windows’ content. That is, we can tell that the pointer is inside a window, but nothing beyond that (like “hovering over a filename”).

[0] I can’t speak for QT styles, which is what krusader actually uses. It may be the case that adwaita-qt has its hand in this, but that’s not a GNOME project."
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Since you do not use Plasma I don't see why a tooltip would come from there... Sorry, I give up on that.

gandsnut
Registered Member
Kubuntu 20.04, Krusader 2.7.2

I have a similar (or the same) annoyance. My mouse cursor is hovering over a file named 'accordion.mscz' and the info box appears.

How can this be disabled?