This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Spellcheck in German

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
sasky
Registered Member

Spellcheck in German

Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:58 pm
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, so hopefully I don't make break any forum rules. Just as a heads up, I am also a new Kubuntu user and don't have a crazy amount of experience with Linux. My problem is so: I am a Canadian living and working in Germany. So when I set up my language for Kubuntu, I chose English as the language, and have my German keyboard layout set up. The problem comes with spell checking... I would love to have it so I keep my language in English, but when I write in German, I have access to spellcheck and not every word becomes highlighted. I am not even sure if this is possible. I have well under the spellcheck section, but the only options I can choose from are all variants of english (British,Us, Canadian...) Is there a way that I can add a German package to the spell check? Like I mentioned before, all the options for spellcheck are simply for English and I can't see anywhere to add German. Thanks in advance for any advice given!
thebluequasar
Registered Member
OS

Re: Spellcheck in German

Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:10 pm
Hello there,
The spell-checking packages for German are available in the repositories, and the option to use spell-checker for German will appear in system settings once they are installed. I searched and found two packages that do what you need: “aspell-de” and “hunspell-de-de”. You can install them from the command-line (sudo apt install) or from a package manager like Muno or Synaptics.
BTW, I haven't actually used a hunspell package to see if it can be used by Plasma Desktop, but it most likely will be. I've used an aspell package though, and it does the job of only detecting misspelled words as expected.