This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Kup backup over SMB: failed to initialize backup destination

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Morque
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I'm new to KDE/Kubuntu and a Linux novice trying to set up Kup for the first time to backup my desktop's local files to an SMB share on my Unraid server, but i can't get the backup started. If i change the destination to a local drive, the backup works fine. Bup manages to create some folders and files to the share, but there seems to be an issue with some permissions "error: chmod on /storage/Backup/Kubuntu/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted". Any ideas what could cause this? I'll gladly provide more info/logs if needed.

How the share is mounted:
//10.10.10.10/Storage on /storage type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=3.1.1,cache=strict,username=*Censored*,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=10.10.10.10,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=4194304,wsize=4194304,bsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1)

kup_plan1.log:
Kup is starting bup backup job at Sunday, 22 January 2023 14.24.04 EET

bup "-d" "/storage/Backup/Kubuntu" "init"
error: chmod on /storage/Backup/Kubuntu/config.lock failed: Operation not permitted
fatal: could not set 'core.repositoryformatversion' to '0'
bup: error: could not init repository: 'git init' returned 128
Kup did not successfully complete the bup backup job: failed to initialize backup destination.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
uid=0 and gid=0 are probably the issues here (root). You probably need to adjust that.

Kup does not support networked drives, so if this isn't done already, you will want to make a permanent mount for the location in your fstab.
I do so with an NFS share using openmediavault, and it works fine.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001