This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Why Plazma System Monitor doesn't display snap applications?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
yurad
Registered Member
I use KDE with Ubuntu. Canonical pushed me several snap applications, including, snap Firefox and Chromium. However, plazma-systemmonitor doesn't show Firefox, Chromium, and other snap apps in the list of Applications. It also doesn't show wine applications. I somehow understand what could be a problem with wine, but why do I not see snap apps. Aren't these native applications?
dzon
Registered Member
I don't use snaps myself but if I recall correctly, snaps have a problem with xdg uniformity. They're not seen as applications or something.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Probably because both Wine applications and Snaps, etc, are not run directly themselves.
/usr/bin/dolphin for example, versus
wine some-app.exe
or
snap run someapp (or whatever the command is to run an application)

The primary executable is NOT the application you see running, it is sort of secondary.
I am sure there is a way to better show this properly. But these will still be seen in the Processes section.
Bug reports might be warranted, if there aren't ones already.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
claydoh wrote:Probably because both Wine applications and Snaps, etc, are not run directly themselves.
/usr/bin/dolphin for example, versus
wine some-app.exe
or
snap run someapp (or whatever the command is to run an application)

The primary executable is NOT the application you see running, it is sort of secondary in a sense. ion terms of processes.
I am sure there is a way to better show this properly. But these will still be seen in the Processes section.
Bug reports might be warranted, if there aren't ones already.

claydoh, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct, and KDE user since 2001
dzon
Registered Member
Myeah...Like I said, I don't use snap. It's the first things I completely purge on ubies. But um...I believe that snap resides in /usr/bin. As does flatpak. And a flatpak too isn't started the "usual" way. In this example, Librewolf is a flatpak. It's run as "flatpak run --branch=stable --arch=x86_64 --command=librewolf --file-forwarding io.gitlab.librewolf-community @@u %u @@". The full command could be /usr/bin/flatpak run etc.. . Yet it shows in the system monitor. There's something with snaps which just doesn't make them sort of fully xdg compliant. https://imgur.com/a/7MTHfxL
Come to think of it.....why and when on earth did I install Librewolf 🤣

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
claydoh
Registered Member
OS
Yet it shows in the system monitor

I am guessing Portals may be involved here. And/or data from .desktop files, maybe?
It explains why wine apps don't appear, or other items that don't show

And what about the 'extra' items that shouldn't show, such as my geoclue Demo Agent, and two different instance of Discover, when it isn't even open, KDE Connect (also closed to the tray), my Kup backup daemon, and whatever "accessibility" is.

So the question is, what is the difference between "applications" and "processes". The answer is sort of clear, but what is the defining item that puts something in Applications?

dzon
Registered Member
Dunno. Guess one way to find out ( kinda) is to create a desktop application with the exec set to snap...whatever. Can't check, don't use that snap snuff stuff.
Even appimg's show in system monitor, so....https://imgur.com/a/7tWZvCh That's the windows calc btw 🤣

yurad
Registered Member
Both, Chromium and Firefox looks as native applications.
file /snap/chromium/2367/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome
/snap/chromium/2367/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0,

file /snap/firefox/2391/usr/lib/firefox/firefox
/snap/firefox/2391/usr/lib/firefox/firefox: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0,

I don't understand why there should be a difference between apt and snap applications at runtime. Maybe snap applications have limited access to some resources, preventing them from being recognized as applications by the system monitor.
(For me, Plazma System Monitor is a quick way to see total memory for applications. Otherwise, I need to run smem manually.)
dzon
Registered Member
Like I said, snaps are probably not recognized as desktop files. If that's so, it's an xdg runtime error of some sort. You could find out if you make a desktop application for it. I guess you could symlink the entire snap folder like: ln -s /var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications (or wherever the snaps are)~/.local/share/applications/snap . Or copy the snap executable file ( from wherever it is) to ~/.local/share/applications. I can't check myself.

yurad
Registered Member
dzon wrote:You could find out if you make a desktop application for it..

I understand that making a desktop application means creating a desktop launcher ( *.desktop files) . Then, Canonical made it for us. All snap applications have a desktop launcher. However, I have made three new desktop files. In one I used Exec=firefox %u. (firefox is pointed to /usr/bin/firefox which is a script.) In another, I used Exec=/snap/chromium/2367/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome . The third launcher is for standard-notes snap. None of the three applications are shown in the System Monitor list.
After it, I downloaded Firefox from Mozilla, extracted the firefox directory somewhere in my home, and just ran the firefox binary, without any desktop launcher and without closing the snap Firefox. The second instance of Firefox appears in the System Monitor correctly, obviously, without an icon. See https://imgur.com/a/PHZzEN1 (Also, you don't see in the list the snap Firefox, Chromium and standard notes which are started with new desktop files)

I am not familiar with snap packaging, I think the problem is somehow in the snap binaries. See below for file sizes. The firefox-bin* files are similar in size, but the firefox* files are very different.

X556UQ:~/bin/firefox$ ll /snap/firefox/2356/usr/lib/firefox/fire*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 634176 Feb 14 13:24 /snap/firefox/2356/usr/lib/firefox/firefox*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 634176 Feb 14 13:24 /snap/firefox/2356/usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin*
X556UQ:~/bin/firefox$ ll fire*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 yury yury 14416 Dec 31 1969 firefox*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 yury yury 626096 Dec 31 1969 firefox-bin*
-rw-r--r-- 1 yury yury 1449 Dec 31 1969 firefox-bin.sig
-rw-r--r-- 1 yury yury 1449 Dec 31 1969 firefox.sig
dzon
Registered Member
I doubt the chromium one will work. The exec has to be /usr/bin/snap whatever command ( path to...). And that desktop application has to be in ~/.local/share/applications.
You could check something along the lines of:

[Desktop Entry]
Comment=
Exec=/usr/bin/snap path-to-executable-desktop-file
Icon=some icon
Name=Chromium
NoDisplay=false
Path=
StartupNotify=true
Terminal=false
TerminalOptions=
Type=Application
X-KDE-SubstituteUID=false
X-KDE-Username=

yurad
Registered Member
Isn't the snap program used to install, configure, refresh and remove snaps? I believe snap expects a snap package as an argument and not a binary executable.
Also one more fact. On https://imgur.com/a/PHZzEN1 we see items prefixed with vte-spawn. All programs that are not recognized as "application" can be found in one of the vte-spawn.