This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Konsole has whitespaces whenever I start

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
greenz1
Registered Member
I am using Konsole as my terminal emulator in Fedora 28. I was tinkering with some system settings and they seem to have added few whitespaces to my Konsole.

I am not messing around. Those white spaces are not added by me. Every time I open the Konsole they are there.

I have tried fixing/deleting Konsole config files from the location below but to no avail.
Code: Select all
~/.config/konsolerc

And
~/.local/share/konsole
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'd guess that you and diddyonkde in viewtopic.php?f=227&t=153628 are experiencing the same problem.
I'd recommend one of you file a bug to bugs.kde.org.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
diddyonkde
Registered Member
TKL-Ansi
Registered Member
OS
Could it be that you changed PS1?
I don't know if Fedora offers a GUI to set the prompt but Konsole usually reads the ~/.bashrc file which includes PS1.

The 'Prompt String' variable PS1 is responsible for the look of your standard prompt.

For example, on terminal type

PS1='>>>  '

or
PS1='>>>'

and you get a new prompt with or without white space.

https://www.linuxnix.com/linuxunix-shell-ps1-prompt-explained-in-detail/

:wq
airdrik
Registered Member
OS
There's more to it than that. Check the bug report and the video that diddyonkde posted in viewtopic.php?f=227&t=153628 it seems to have to do with the handling of wide characters where the right half of the character is being presented as a space instead of the rest of the character.
(also PS1 is defined and used by the shell (e.g. bash) not the terminal emulator - konsole doesn't care how you've defined your bash or zsh or ipython prompt, it's just there to render the characters that whatever command is currently running printed to the screen)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
TKL-Ansi
Registered Member
OS
airdrik wrote:also PS1 is defined and used by the shell (e.g. bash)

I know, guess why I mentioned the bashrc
Change PS1 in the bashrc or simply add PS1='>>> ' to the end,
restart Konsole and you see a different prompt.

I focus on the OP and his screenshot, he uses bash and you only see a prompt which has whitespace.
Could be a bug, I don't know. I just added an idea.

TKL-Ansi
Registered Member
OS
I installed the kde spin of Fedora 28 in virtualbox and applied all the updates.

No issues with default settings.

I can reproduce the whitespace issue, when I select a non monospaced font in the settings,
but Konsole explicitly warns you about such a font:

By its very nature, a terminal program requires font characters that are equal width (monospace). Any non monospaced font may cause display issues. This should not be necessary except in rare cases.

Do you use a special font in your Konsole profile?

greenz1
Registered Member
My issue originated when I installed KDE from inside GNOME and removed GNOME.

@mdevi the bug report has been filed by @diddyonkde
mckinney
Registered Member
When the actual text contains trailing whitepace, instead of displaying the actual text in boldface, it displays double asterisks around the text, unbolded, with no clear indication that the distinction between actual and expected is a single space character Prepaid Gift Balance
bhyju
Registered Member
\033[0m
to

\033[0m\033[K
that will do what you intended. The difference is that when the terminal scrolls up, it will fill the new line with the current background color:

The \E[K clears the current line from the current position to the end of the line (undoing the color-filling done by scrolling).
The color behavior is a feature of Linux console, implemented in other terminals (rxvt, xterm, konsole).
See also:

Background color whitespace when end of the terminal reached...