This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

konsole profiles "disappearing" from the launcher list

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rmndz
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
for some time ago, two profiles are not showing at the profile launcher list because they are checked off (or deselected) from the "show profile in menu" for a reason that I don't know when I log in.

Then I go to "manage profiles" and check them again at "show profile in menu" . Then they go back at showing at the menu profile list, but when I restart the session they are gone again (deselected).

And I've not found any way to avoid this behavior. I've checked, removed the profile config files, and not change in this issue.

What can I do or check?

Thanks?

Operating System: KDE neon User Edition 64 bit
Mamarok
Manager
OS
do you save the Plasma session on logout?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
rmndz
Registered Member
OS
Finally, I've found the problem. It is that I had several instances (windows) of konsole at the same time when I've changed these options at the list of profiles. Then it only modifies the instance that I made the changes. The others had the old settings (list of profiles).

I thought that the last modification on the settings would be the one it is saved, but I now see it is not true if there are several instances active at the same time.
I don't know if it is normal behavior or not, but it was my confusion.

Operating System: KDE neon 5.17
KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.66.0
Qt Version: 5.13.2
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-28-generic
OS Type: 64-bit

rmndz
Registered Member
OS
But, is it a bug or not?

I am trying the same, only closing the windows, not the session. If there are several windows of konsole opened at the same time, it doesn't save the last changed profile settings. It saves the profile settings of the last closed instance of konsole.

I've just tried the same with dolphin, and the last changed settings are the ones that I get after closing the session. , it doesn't matter if the instance that I've applied the changes is last to close or not.

At least, the behavior is different between konsole and dolphin.

airdrik
Registered Member
OS
I'd recommend filing a bug. People expect that when they change something and hit OK or Apply that it should immediately persist the change; however it seems that many apps (including konsole and Plasma, unless they fixed it in Plasma) wait to persist changes until the program exits, which leads to confusion and problems if they had multiple instances open and close them in the wrong order, if they try to change the setting by editing the config file directly while an instance of the app is open or if the instance that they made the change in crashes before it gets around to saving the change. (I assume this is the main cause for problems people observe with Plasma forgetting/resetting settings)

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.