This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Paste behavior altered after update to Konsole 20.12.0-1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
undoIT
Registered Member
OS
All of the sudden, Konsole is doing something strange when I paste. Instead of just pasting what was pasted, it highlights what was pasted and I have to hit Enter to confirm. Furthermore, the cursor looks weird, just a solid white rectangle, not the normal flashing cursor. Not sure if I accidentally mashed a keyboard shortcut or a key that kicked this in. Did a search in Pamac history…

Code: Select all
[2020-12-11T13:15:49-0800] [ALPM] upgraded konsole (20.08.3-1 -> 20.12.0-1)

Sure enough. Maybe it is just a coincidence that an update occurred right before I accidentally mashed something. If not, it is annoying when updates roll out that change fundamental functionality like keyboard shortcuts for a regularly used action. Please let me know how I may restore Konsole cursor and paste behavior to normal.

Image GNU/Linux user since 2007 | Keyboard Shortcuts | Coupon Code Swap
undoIT
Registered Member
OS
Gaaah! This is driving me crazy. I rolled back the install to Konsole 20.08.3-1, restarted konsole and the strange paste behavior remains. I did not have a profile created before and after creating a profile, it makes new settings available in Configure Konsole. However, I cannot find anything related to this strange paste behavior.

Before this kicked in, when pasting, the cursor would be at the end of whatever was pasted or if pasting with a line break at the end, the command would immediately run after it had been pasted. Now, when I paste something it is always selected and I have to hit Enter again to run a command when a line break was included at the end of what was pasted.

Is there somebody out there who knows how to change this back to what it was before?

Last edited by undoIT on Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
undoIT
Registered Member
OS
Getting warmer…

I found this related issue:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... asted-text

However, the proposed solution does not work because I do not have zsh installed.
undoIT
Registered Member
OS
YES! Finally, relief. The solution:

Code: Select all
nano ~/.bashrc

paste:

bind 'set enable-bracketed-paste off'

save and restart konsole.

Source:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/662222/ ... nal-screen

Why oh why would someone think it a good idea to introduce this new behavior without warning and without providing a setting to toggle the behavior in configuration options? Die bracketed-paste, die!

sudo kill bracketed-paste ;D
cmiranda
Registered Member
It worked for me. Just upgraded to fedora 35 and this behavior was driving me crazy.
Thanks.
manigor
Registered Member
Thanks a LOT!
i've been trying to fix this stupid bug for several years with kubuntu 20.04
And now its GONE!
Thank again!