This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can't get konsole menu back

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
davidlevner
Registered Member

Can't get konsole menu back

Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:16 am
In experimenting with ways to get rid of the task bar (I finally succeeded at that), I removed the menu bar. Now I can't get the menu bar back.

I've read the documentation. First I tried Ctrl+Shift+M. That is just like pressing the Enter key. (I have a shell running in the Konsole window.) No menu.

Then I tried right-clicking in the main body of the Konsole window. My choices are 'Paste', 'Open File Manager', 'Set Encoding', 'Clear Scrollback', 'Adjust Scrollback', 'Read-only', 'Switch Profile' and 'Edit Current Profile'. None of these seem appropriate for my problem.

I know about the ~/.config/konsolerc file. When I edited it with vim, I saw a few lines referring to the menu bar. At the top of the file, I set MenuBar=Enabled. in the [KonsoleWindow] section, I set ShowMenuBarByDefault=true. In the [MainWindow] section, I set MenuBar=Enabled. I saved my changes, exited vim, started a new copy of Konsole and no menu. When I went back to ~/.config/konsolerc, I saw that something had changed the MenuBar setting in the [MainWindow] section to Disabled.

I tried copying a ~/.config/konsolerc file from another computer where Konsole has menus. No menu. I edited the copied file and added MenuBar=Enabled in the [MainWindow] section. No menu.

I tried editing ~/.config/konsolerc with gvim and no Konsole running. After saving the changes and closing gvim, I ran Konsole. No menu.

I am running Fedora 34, X11 and I believe that the Konsole version is 21.08.0. That's the version from the computer where Konsole menus work, and I updated both computers within the last two days. On the computer where Konsole has no menus, there is no Help menu to look up the version number.

Any ideas? Uninstall and re-install konsole? I'm not even sure how I would do that because the command 'dnf info konsole' tells me 'Error: No matching Packages to list'.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Can't get konsole menu back

Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:12 pm
You should be able to get the menu bar with Ctrl+Shift+M, works perfectly fine here, same Konsole version. Maybe you edited too much?
Closing the Konsole and erasing the config files should be enough to get a virgin Konsole back, no need to purge the package

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
davidlevner
Registered Member

Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:47 am
Thanks for your post. Ctrl+Shift+M should be the simplest way to get the menus back. In my environment, Ctrl+Shift+M is treated like Ctrl+M which is carriage return. The shell executes whatever command I have typed and generates a new prompt. If I haven't typed a command, I just get a new prompt.

Here are some additional things I've tried:

I ran 'konsole --show-menubar' from the command line. No menus. Based on the konsole documentation, that really should have worked. I filed a KDE bug (https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=441494) about it.

I renamed all the config files that I know about: ~/.share/konsolerc (the file) and ~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/konsole (the directory) and ran konsole. No menus. Are there any other configuration files I should rename?

(Before I perform these actions, I shut down all copies of konsole, make the changes and then restart konsole.)

The only work-around that I discovered is that Ctrl+Shift+F10 opens the menus (without a menu bar) even if the menus are hidden. You can then use the arrow keys to navigate through the menus. When I first did this I thought "Great! I'll just go to the Settings Menu and select 'Show Menubar'." But strangely, 'Show Menubar' is the only menu entry that is missing. Even stranger, when I navigate to 'Configure Konsole' in the Settings Menu and select it, it displays a dialog that shows "Show Menubar" as on. By the way, I tried enabling menu accelerators from this dialog, but Ctrl+Shift+M still didn't work.

I think something is wrong with my configuration and Konsole is confused. But I don't use Konsole menus often and when I need them I can use the Ctrl+Shift+F10 trick.

According to dnf, the system updater on Fedora, I am running plasma-workspace version 5.22.4, release 2.fc34 (source is plasma-workspace-5.22.4-2.fc34.src.rpm).
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:12 am
Same version I use.
Do you have some special Application Style in use? Or any special settings in the Windows Decorations?
You could try using the Application Menu in the titlebar, but that will be applied to all applications, not just Konsole, so maybe not an ideal solution

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
davidlevner
Registered Member

Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:19 pm
I didn't know what an Application Style was, so I googled it. That made it clear that I do not have any such style in use.

If I click on the title bar of a Konsole window, I can navigate to More Actions -> Configure Special Applications Settings. But I'm not sure what to do with the resulting dialog. I tried clicking on "Add Property" and then "Shortcut" but there was nothing about menus or how key sequences like Ctrl+Shift+M are handled.

Konsole sees Ctrl+Shift+M when I press those keys. If it didn't, it wouldn't pass a carriage return through to the shell that is running within it. Konsole should say, "Wait, this keystroke combination is for me," but it doesn't. I recognize that there is something different about my environment and that it works as intended for some or most users.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Can't get konsole menu back  Topic is solved

Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:07 am
Just to rule out any distribution specific problem: is it the same behavior with a new user?

The Application Menu is a system-wide setting you can change in the System Settings -> Appearance -> Window Decorations -> Titlebar Buttons. This will place a button in the title bar that replaces the Menu bar.

davidlevner
Registered Member

Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:58 pm
Thanks for continuing to follow up on this issue. I logged out, logged in as a different user and was able to toggle Konsole's menus with Ctrl+Shift+M. More evidence that my account is mis-configured.

I logged in as myself, copied all the configuration files (~/.config/konsolerc and ~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/konsole) from the other account to my account and ran Konsole. No menus and Ctrl+Shift+M didn't work.

I'm guessing that there is a problem with a non-Konsole-specific configuration file.
davidlevner
Registered Member

Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:05 pm
Following your instructions, I changed the Application Menu and put a menu bar button in the title bar of every application. It works for Konsole and is better than pressing Ctrl+Shift+F10. "Show Menubar" is still missing from Konsole's Settings menu, but I can live with that. Thanks for the suggestion!
queequeg
Registered Member

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:07 am
I'm having this exact issue. Menu bar disappeared from Konsole, and I can't get it back no matter what I do. Can access the menus using Ctrl+Shift+F10, but that's the only way. Checking the "Show Menubar" box in Konsole settings has no effect.
mostyle
Registered Member

Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:17 pm
Had the exact same issue... I wasn't able to figure out what happened either but I was able to use Mamarok's solution to add the application menu button as a workaround.

That led me to another weird issue that I'll create a separate thread for...