This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Solved] Konsole bookmarks and jumphosts

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
avg
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

Konsole offers bookmarks for easy access to remote ssh-hosts.
Can these bookmarks somehow be used with a jumphost command?

Normally one issues a "ssh -J jumphost destination" command in a terminal to access the destination over a jumphost.
Can this command somehow be translated to be used with the location field in a konsole bookmark??

Have looked around the web, but haven't been able to find anything relevant, just heaps of howto guides for using ssh with a jumphost.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, tips and trick!

Last edited by avg on Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

--
//AvG

Running the latest Kubuntu LTS on an ancient HP z440 E5-1650 v3.
dzon
Registered Member

Re: Konsole bookmarks and jumphosts

Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:14 pm
Think you're better of with aliases to achieve that. Not sure though. Maybe there's a way after all in konsole.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
avg
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:10 am
dzon wrote:Think you're better of with aliases to achieve that. Not sure though. Maybe there's a way after all in konsole.

Thanks for the consideration!
That was actually an alternative too initially, until I realized I have about a hundred bookmarks I'd need to administrate.

It'd also add another layer of complexity and I like to keep stuff clean with the tools I already have, ie konsole. :-)

--
//AvG

dzon
Registered Member
Only a hundred? ;D Yeeeah.....that's uhm...quite a bit. Well, guess you could make a separate menu entry with konsole aliases commands and add as you go along.
You know. Name: Destination, Command:konsole ssh -J jumphost destination or something of the likes. Granted, still merely a hundred. But, unlike having to remember the aliases, it's a one time work.

This realm's name is Maya. And she speaks Hertz. But Ahamkara makes a fuzz about it.
avg
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:08 am
dzon wrote:Only a hundred? ;D Yeeeah.....that's uhm...quite a bit. Well, guess you could make a separate menu entry with konsole aliases commands and add as you go along.
You know. Name: Destination, Command:konsole ssh -J jumphost destination or something of the likes. Granted, still merely a hundred. But, unlike having to remember the aliases, it's a one time work.

LOL! Yeah, I'll have to think this through a bit.

Maybe aliases is the way to go anyway.
It's indeed a one-time task, but have to add so many of them.

I don't like to do repetitive tasks which is why I started with the konsole bookmarks ages ago!

--
//AvG

dzon
Registered Member

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:46 am
Hence creating a menu entry. You only have to do that once. You don't have to remember or even type the aliases, they're launched as menu entries.

avg
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:47 am
dzon wrote:Only a hundred? ;D Yeeeah.....that's uhm...quite a bit. Well, guess you could make a separate menu entry with konsole aliases commands and add as you go along.

Oh! Wait a sec'!
I didn't realize you could add a regular command in the Location-field!

Until now I've always though the location field could only contain a line like "ssh://avg@destination.example.com:22".
But it seems like you can actually enter "ssh -J avg@jumphost.example.com destination.example.com" too!

Thanks for setting me on the right path dzon!
I now have a solution that works without hvaing to reinvent the wheel and can just modify all the bookmarks I already have.

--
//AvG

avg
Registered Member
OS

Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:24 am
Fixed it. I now have the konsole shortcuts set up the way I want them. Was a simple thing using search and replace in ~/.local/share/konsole/bookmarks.xml.

Thanks again dzon.

--
//AvG