This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

howto: run konsole as root

Tags: konsole konsole konsole
(comma "," separated)
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Help Anyone?

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:33 pm
Is anyone reading this thread and attempting to help?

TBNK
airdrik
Registered Member
OS

Re: howto: run konsole as root

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm
Another thought would be to create a Konsole Profile for root:
Open Konsole and go to Settings -> Manage Profiles.
Create a new profile, name: root, command: /usr/bin/sudo -i, whatever other profile settings you want.

airdrik, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:03 pm
All,

All of you are not understanding! Asking for the password is totally unacceptable!

I have to have a single CMD that has the password in it, so that the password prompt never appears.

On boot, my Konsole has to open 4-6 session tabs and already be "SUDO" without any prompts!

I read that it is possible, but can never ever get it to actually implement!

Cheers!

TBNK
koffeinfriedhof
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:56 am
oldmanriver wrote:Asking for the password is totally unacceptable!

Thats a security mess. Anyone (including scripts not written by you) could get root permission if you disable the password prompt for your user.
On boot, my Konsole has to open 4-6 session tabs and already be "SUDO" without any prompts!

If you have installed the sudo package, you may use the pam-authentication to get where you want.

What exactly do you need these root-shells for? If there are single commands you have to run as root, like e.g. powertop, it would be easier and safer to explicitly allow them to be startet as root. Thats what suid and visudo are for.
oldmanriver
Registered Member

Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:48 am
All,

Don't know if I posted this but when I attempt to run "kdesu konsole" it says application not found and so then cmd "apt-get install kdesu" says package not found. I'm running Kubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and 18.04 all LTS versions and get these errors on all versions, so the repository containing this package is not currently listed in the file "/etc/apt/sources.list"!

A good link to a great HOWTO on this would be great!

Cheers!

OMR
helloworldhelloworld
Registered Member

Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:17 am
This works for me:

pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true konsole
imeister
Registered Member

Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:47 pm
I had a similar use case, but I wanted to enable the 'open root terminal here' option in Thunar, which I prefer over Dolphin. Here's how to do it:

Open Thunar
Edit > Configure custom actions...
(+) Add new
Name = Open root terminal here
Command = pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true konsole --workdir %f