This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

kalarm won't allow templates to be edited

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
kloro
Registered Member
after editing a kalarm template i get 'error saving alarm template' when i hit 'ok' on the editing popup.
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
What version of KAlarm are you running? This bug was fixed in version 2.10.6, which has been in KDE 4.11.1 onwards.

KAlarm author
kloro
Registered Member
djarvie wrote:What version of KAlarm are you running? This bug was fixed in version 2.10.6, which has been in KDE 4.11.1 onwards.

thanks for yr reply. when i check for version, i see:

~/$ kalarm -v

Qt: 4.8.1
KDE Development Platform: 4.8.5 (4.8.5)
KAlarm: 2.8.6-ak
~/$

it seems to me that the problem is with ubuntu. what do you think?
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
Yes, your Ubuntu package is too old to have this fix in it. I think you'll need to update to Ubuntu 13.10 (saucy) to get the fixed version.

KAlarm author
kloro
Registered Member
Will Kalarm work under Debian wheezy? I'm having trouble getting Kalarm to behave since my recent switch to Debian. I don't mind doing the necessary work if I know it has hope of success.

BTW, I love the design of Kalarm. I can't imagine why anyone would use an alternative unless their system resources were severely limited. Thanks very much for your work.
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
Debian Wheezy contains old versions of all kdepim applications because of stability issues particularly in KMail. KAlarm in Wheezy is version 2.4.11. To get more recent kdepim versions including KAlarm, you would need to either use Debian Testing, or download kdepim sources and build it on Wheezy yourself.

KAlarm author
kloro
Registered Member
thanks for your help in this. i very much appreciate that the developer is helping people with his application. again, Kalarm is a great design. I'll probably do what you suggest to make it work for me.
kloro
Registered Member
djarvie wrote:Debian Wheezy contains old versions of all kdepim applications because of stability issues particularly in KMail. KAlarm in Wheezy is version 2.4.11. To get more recent kdepim versions including KAlarm, you would need to either use Debian Testing, or download kdepim sources and build it on Wheezy yourself.

WRONG! it works fine under Wheezy, as far as i can see right now. After an hour or two of poking around in the documentation and in the app itself, i got everything to work. You DO NOT need to use DT or build it yourself. The only improvement I can suggest for the app is to make sure that the install process sets up default calendar and template files and makes them readily available to the user out of the box.

Again, Kalarm is IMHO far and away the best designed alarm system in the world of *nix.
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
  • The template editing bug didn't apply to old versions of KAlarm such as that in Wheezy. It only existed in the later Akonadi-based versions.
  • KAlarm should set up default calendars the first time it runs, and has always been supposed to do this.
  • Thanks for your appreciation of the application!

KAlarm author
kloro
Registered Member
djarvie wrote:

• KAlarm should set up default calendars the first time it runs, and has always been supposed to do this.

By "should" do you mean there may be a problem in the installer i used?
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS
The installer shouldn't have any effect on this. KAlarm should detect that there are no calendar files and create them when it runs for the first time.

KAlarm author
kloro
Registered Member
ok. i'm going to reinstall in the next few days and i'll tell you how it went. again, thanks for your app.