This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Unable to create new alarm

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
mdean
Registered Member

Unable to create new alarm

Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 pm
Hello. I have found if I try to create a new display alarm it will not let me create a new alarm if I have an alarm that is currently active on the screen that I have not closed or deferred. Is there a work around for this?

Thank you,
Melanie
google01103
Manager

Re: Unable to create new alarm

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:53 pm
I can't replicate this on my system

did it ever work as expected?

what distribution and version of KDE

update: there are no similar bugs that I could find on bugs.kde.org

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

mdean
Registered Member

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:09 pm
Hello. I have found I can bring up the box to create a new display alarm but I cannot actually enter text to create the new alarm. This has occurred since I downloaded it.

It looks like I have KAlarm Version 2.10.10-ak using KDE Development Platform 4.13.3. I am also running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
google01103
Manager

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:27 pm
can you test as a new/different user?

google01103
Manager

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:36 pm
the process will may produce helpful information that will be in ~/xsession-errors ~/.xsession-errors so deleting the file before starting makes it a bit more convenient to read

you can try using kdebugdialog
- close kalarm
- open kdebugdialog
- click deselect all
- in search box search for kalarm
- click select all
- click ok
- start kalarm and force your issue
- open ~/xsession-errors ~/.xsession-errors and see if there anything that looks relevant

mdean
Registered Member

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:41 pm
I did try as a different user with the same result. I will have to try your other suggestion.

Thank you.
mdean
Registered Member

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:53 pm
I tried using kdebugdialog but I was unable to find any xsession-errors file so maybe there isn't one or maybe i am looking in the wrong place. After going through kdebugdialog I was still having the issue.
google01103
Manager

Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:09 pm
my bad it is ~/.xsession-errors

only other thing I can think of is to reinstall all the kdepim*, libkdepim*, akonadi* and libakonadi* packages

mdean
Registered Member

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:17 pm
I will have to check those files out. I determined I was able to copy text from another window and paste it into a new alarm while other alarms were active. It is almost as if KAlarm doesn't recognize my keyboard when alarms are active.

Thank you for the help. Maybe a reinstall of those packages might help.
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS

Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:12 pm
I see this on Ubuntu 14.04 as well, but it doesn't happen on Debian Jessie (version 2.10.11-ak). Any keyboard input in the New Alarm dialog is ignored in these circumstances. I've raised a bug report about it - see https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=352889.

KAlarm author
djarvie
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:58 pm
This is due to the Unity desktop not handling the transfer of keyboard focus correctly between KAlarm's top-level windows (see the KDE bug report previously mentioned). A fix has now been applied to the KDE 4.14 branch.

You might like to report this as a bug to Ubuntu and try to encourage them to update their KAlarm package to include this fix.

KAlarm author